Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Minecraft Help Server Chunk Corruption


Server Chunk Corruption

Having problems with your game or connecting to our server? Post them here, and we'll help fix them.

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby Camel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm

Gerhard wrote:
Camel wrote:I disagree with a reset and agree with others saying it could end the server. If the problems are fixable then I especially see no reason. I know personally if the server was reset that I would have very little reason to play anymore.


Travco wrote:"So... why would we keep playing?"
This is probably the best question. If the only thing that kept you coming back to the server was the city, well then you have no reason. But this is Minecraft! What happens when a creeper blows up your house? You rebuild it, probably bigger and better. What happens when you lose your save in single player? You make a new one! You learn from your mistakes and continue on!


viewtopic.php?t=2340

Holes, (and the quest for a better server)


They lost 2 years of work and mainly a government city. We are losing over 7 years of work. They had no choice but to reset while we have a choice. I think before any decision is made that someone like SK take a look at the server to see if the problem is fixable or if it will just get worse.
~Camel
KingOfCamels101
Player since August 2nd, 2015
Staff member since November, 2016
Owner of Sunset Coast, Toronto, and Starling

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby Sir_Binary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 pm

~Kyle wrote:I can't speak for all veterans of course, but in my experience on this server any expansions or new opportunities of any kind have brought significant value to the server when well-executed. If we were to reset the map (and possible somewhat the economy), it would create an incredibly competitive and thriving economy that would motivate both old and new players alike to remain active. Ideally, we would be able to do this whilst keeping infrastructure in place like helloclan city, at least the area near the spawn, or rivercity, as those have proven successful throughout our history and have always been great places for new players to be able to understand what HM is all about.

It would still be the same old server, with plenty of old players still around and most of the same plugins. All that would change is the geography of our world itself. I believe we have a strong and motivated staff capable of executing a new map well, especially given the exciting prospect of creating a new world.


if we get a new map, might as well bring new infrastructure to it too. a new city, that looks similar to Crystal Bay, could be made, with new architecture (like in CB) and less shops. government cities shouldn't have the same skyscrapers we see today in RC, VC and HCC, but rather we should see beautifully designed parisian-styled buildings, of somewhat small size. also, if we do reset, would be nice to have a gov city name a bit more original than "River City" and "Valley City". we can all agree crystal bay looks the best, and I think it also does a good job at not being a place for a shop to have a monopoly in.

anyway that's all I just wanted to comment on gov cities, we should probably only have 1-2. cya
my last signature looked spammy so uh yeah add my disc at sirbinary#7593 if you want <3

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby Silicon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:51 pm

Camel wrote:
Gerhard wrote:
Camel wrote:I disagree with a reset and agree with others saying it could end the server. If the problems are fixable then I especially see no reason. I know personally if the server was reset that I would have very little reason to play anymore.


Travco wrote:"So... why would we keep playing?"
This is probably the best question. If the only thing that kept you coming back to the server was the city, well then you have no reason. But this is Minecraft! What happens when a creeper blows up your house? You rebuild it, probably bigger and better. What happens when you lose your save in single player? You make a new one! You learn from your mistakes and continue on!


viewtopic.php?t=2340

Holes, (and the quest for a better server)


They lost 2 years of work and mainly a government city. We are losing over 7 years of work. They had no choice but to reset while we have a choice. I think before any decision is made that someone like SK take a look at the server to see if the problem is fixable or if it will just get worse.


I agree with camel, losing 7 years of work and potentially the community is a very hard pill to swallow.
Tried and failed to create an apartment building in trongo, got my friend into the business and he did it much better than I did. My long time friend _Grace____ lost contact. Completely anti-swearing.

Those bug deterrent things that you plug in the wall make a high-frequency loud as heck noise that only I can hear, those things are my arch-nemesis.


Hayden.R.Lawrence in Louisiana is the worst school ever.

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby ~Luc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Camel wrote:
Gerhard wrote:
Camel wrote:I disagree with a reset and agree with others saying it could end the server. If the problems are fixable then I especially see no reason. I know personally if the server was reset that I would have very little reason to play anymore.


Travco wrote:"So... why would we keep playing?"
This is probably the best question. If the only thing that kept you coming back to the server was the city, well then you have no reason. But this is Minecraft! What happens when a creeper blows up your house? You rebuild it, probably bigger and better. What happens when you lose your save in single player? You make a new one! You learn from your mistakes and continue on!


viewtopic.php?t=2340

Holes, (and the quest for a better server)


They lost 2 years of work and mainly a government city. We are losing over 7 years of work. They had no choice but to reset while we have a choice. I think before any decision is made that someone like SK take a look at the server to see if the problem is fixable or if it will just get worse.

Problem is people assuming we have a choice. We are trying to see if we can do anything, but there is no guarantee. As for asking SK, there is no need, and it would take 3 months for a response. At that point we would literally be kissing the entire community goodbye. If you want to keep relying on SK the server will end up in the same state it was last year.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019
Engineering Student

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby Gerhard » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:00 pm

Camel wrote:
Gerhard wrote:
Camel wrote:I disagree with a reset and agree with others saying it could end the server. If the problems are fixable then I especially see no reason. I know personally if the server was reset that I would have very little reason to play anymore.


Travco wrote:"So... why would we keep playing?"
This is probably the best question. If the only thing that kept you coming back to the server was the city, well then you have no reason. But this is Minecraft! What happens when a creeper blows up your house? You rebuild it, probably bigger and better. What happens when you lose your save in single player? You make a new one! You learn from your mistakes and continue on!


viewtopic.php?t=2340

Holes, (and the quest for a better server)


They lost 2 years of work and mainly a government city. We are losing over 7 years of work. They had no choice but to reset while we have a choice. I think before any decision is made that someone like SK take a look at the server to see if the problem is fixable or if it will just get worse.


Why the hell is it everytime something happens, we must pester SK? He is an adult and works. Leave him alone for once. It's time for you to wake up camel, we can't keep delaying the inevitable. Eventually the entire map file will go corrupt, then there will be no chance at saving anything or possibly exploring it in the future.
Retired Historic Advisor of HelloClan City
Forget all the reasons why it won’t work and believe the one reason why it will.
Let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down.

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby sgtsurfinbyrd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:11 pm

~Luc wrote:Problem is people assuming we have a choice. We are trying to see if we can do anything, but there is no guarantee. As for asking SK, there is no need, and it would take 3 months for a response. At that point we would literally be kissing the entire community goodbye. If you want to keep relying on SK the server will end up in the same state it was last year.


Excactly. If world is fixable, what is to prevent it from happening again? If it were too continue happening, would it be worth it to keep fighting the map and having periods of downtime that would just hurt the server? Also, I dont know if it known how many chunks are corrupted...

After the server crashed, Dynamap was up for a short while. During a brief glance at the map before it went down I noticed something weird in what I believe to be dove valley...
Image
This doesn't look like it belongs there, and if it is not dynamap just being stupid, it is roughly 700 corrupted chunks (460x430 area). I did not get a chance to scan the rest of the map for other instances like this.

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby Camel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:10 am

Gerhard wrote:Why the hell is it everytime something happens, we must pester SK? He is an adult and works. Leave him alone for once. It's time for you to wake up camel, we can't keep delaying the inevitable. Eventually the entire map file will go corrupt, then there will be no chance at saving anything or possibly exploring it in the future.


To make sure that this is an unfixable issue. The only proof I have heard was that when you join a singplayer world it warns you. This is not the same issue as 2012. It doesnt have to be SK.
~Camel
KingOfCamels101
Player since August 2nd, 2015
Staff member since November, 2016
Owner of Sunset Coast, Toronto, and Starling

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby Gerhard » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:29 am

Camel wrote:
Gerhard wrote:Why the hell is it everytime something happens, we must pester SK? He is an adult and works. Leave him alone for once. It's time for you to wake up camel, we can't keep delaying the inevitable. Eventually the entire map file will go corrupt, then there will be no chance at saving anything or possibly exploring it in the future.


To make sure that this is an unfixable issue. The only proof I have heard was that when you join a singplayer world it warns you. This is not the same issue as 2012. It doesnt have to be SK.


If you bothered to look at the image byrd provided, it is the same issue...holes, or chunks that have been regenerated.
Retired Historic Advisor of HelloClan City
Forget all the reasons why it won’t work and believe the one reason why it will.
Let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down.

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby ~Luc » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:30 am

Camel wrote:
Gerhard wrote:Why the hell is it everytime something happens, we must pester SK? He is an adult and works. Leave him alone for once. It's time for you to wake up camel, we can't keep delaying the inevitable. Eventually the entire map file will go corrupt, then there will be no chance at saving anything or possibly exploring it in the future.


To make sure that this is an unfixable issue. The only proof I have heard was that when you join a singplayer world it warns you. This is not the same issue as 2012. It doesnt have to be SK.

Rodney I don’t think you know how to read. The server crashed because of corrupted chunks, and if the map screenshot byrd got was correct, there could be 700 corrupted chunks in one area (this is not confirmed but a possibility), this is the exact same issue that occurred in 2012, right down to the corrupted chunks regenerating themselves with the new world generation.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019
Engineering Student

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby ~Weather » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:33 am

My opinion is a full reset. Nothing transferred over, no compensation. It is impossible to fairly compensate everyone therefore none should be given. The server has learned a lot over its course and there are countless ways that we can make the next HM it’s very best.

A reset would provide an endless amount of jobs needing done from building new infrastructure, cities, housing, virtually everything. I am entirely against anything being world edited in the new sever. World editing not only causes chunk glitches like ~Luc had previously mentioned, but also take away potential jobs. Simple tasks can be given to new players while more tedious ones can be given to more experienced members on the server.

Trying to regenerate or rollback the server is only going to cause more technical issues. I think most can agree we’ve already experienced enough downtime. A blank slate would alleviate a lot of technical issues.
Image

PreviousNext