Forum

HelloMiners Forum Announcements Server Chunk Corruption

Server Chunk Corruption

Announcements concerning HelloMiners.

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby Somfic » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 pm

I agree with a server reset, but I don't know about copying and pasting cities and infrastructure and all that. I think a full reset is the way to go. I also agree with sgtsurfinbyrd's points from before, this would create a ton of jobs and things to do.

Postby Sir_Binary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Somfic wrote:I agree with a server reset, but I don't know about copying and pasting cities and infrastructure and all that. I think a full reset is the way to go. I also agree with sgtsurfinbyrd's points from before, this would create a ton of jobs and things to do.

yeah if we reset I'd love to see what new HM would look like, certainly a lot better in architecture.
my last signature looked spammy so uh yeah add my disc at sirbinary#7593 if you want <3

Postby drew » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:03 pm

If there was a reset, it would be nice to somehow leave the current map open for a bit like 1 month or two to give people a chance to say goodbye and transition. I think if we shut down all at once and didn’t give a chance to show how good a reset could be, we would loose a lot of the current player base and not be able to recover due to our already somewhat low numbers.

Postby Silicon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:33 pm

Somfic wrote:I agree with a server reset, but I don't know about copying and pasting cities and infrastructure and all that. I think a full reset is the way to go. I also agree with sgtsurfinbyrd's points from before, this would create a ton of jobs and things to do.

Haven't seen you in a long time. Wb
Tried and failed to create an apartment building in trongo, got my friend into the business and he did it much better than I did. My long time friend _Grace____ lost contact. Completely anti-swearing.

Those bug deterrent things that you plug in the wall make a high-frequency loud as heck noise that only I can hear, those things are my arch-nemesis.

Hayden.R.Lawrence in Louisiana is the worst school ever.

Postby chickenfarm7. » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:49 pm

drew wrote:If there was a reset, it would be nice to somehow leave the current map open for a bit like 1 month or two to give people a chance to say goodbye and transition. I think if we shut down all at once and didn’t give a chance to show how good a reset could be, we would loose a lot of the current player base and not be able to recover due to our already somewhat low numbers.

That would be cool, but we should put everyone in spectator mode for it, otherwise some people would end up still playing on the old thus dividing the player base.
shit on it

Unbanned after 8 months :D

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £409 (£156 with sales)
  • Games owned: 59
  • Games played: 54 (91%)
  • Hours on record: 1,046.8h

Postby ~Luc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:02 pm

I have to agree. As much as I would hate losing the progress I made on my city, copying and pasting massive regions is not the best idea, there is a potential that worldedit can cause corruption based on topics made about this very issue in other places. The smartest thing to do would be to put the current world on a spectator-only server where people could get schematics of their builds for a short time before taking it offline completely.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019
Engineering Student

Postby ViHQ » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm

~Luc wrote:

I have to agree. As much as I would hate losing the progress I made on my city, copying and pasting massive regions is not the best idea, there is a potential that worldedit can cause corruption based on topics made about this very issue in other places. The smartest thing to do would be to put the current world on a spectator-only server where people could get schematics of their builds for a short time before taking it offline completely.

As well as releasing a save file so players can spend days exploring everything.. right?

Postby Izela » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:05 pm

drew wrote:If there was a reset, it would be nice to somehow leave the current map open for a bit like 1 month or two to give people a chance to say goodbye and transition. I think if we shut down all at once and didn’t give a chance to show how good a reset could be, we would loose a lot of the current player base and not be able to recover due to our already somewhat low numbers.

The problem with leaving the map open for a month is if you enter a corrupt chunk then that's it. Server down. Plus I believe I have heard the current world is huge and very expensive to keep up. I would love to be able to fly around and see everything on the server but maybe just a world download is a better idea.
Newbie but wanting to help make Hellominers even better

Izela#1114

Postby Silicon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:32 pm

I think we should keep a save file available for download. I spend most of my time here exploring, that's the beauty of an old world, countless areas for you to explore. If we do reset we need a world download. It really pains me to see this.
Tried and failed to create an apartment building in trongo, got my friend into the business and he did it much better than I did. My long time friend _Grace____ lost contact. Completely anti-swearing.

Those bug deterrent things that you plug in the wall make a high-frequency loud as heck noise that only I can hear, those things are my arch-nemesis.

Hayden.R.Lawrence in Louisiana is the worst school ever.

Postby AyanTheAwesome » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:01 pm

~Kyle wrote:I can't speak for all veterans of course, but in my experience on this server any expansions or new opportunities of any kind have brought significant value to the server when well-executed. If we were to reset the map (and possible somewhat the economy), it would create an incredibly competitive and thriving economy that would motivate both old and new players alike to remain active. Ideally, we would be able to do this whilst keeping infrastructure in place like helloclan city, at least the area near the spawn, or rivercity, as those have proven successful throughout our history and have always been great places for new players to be able to understand what HM is all about.

It would still be the same old server, with plenty of old players still around and most of the same plugins. All that would change is the geography of our world itself. I believe we have a strong and motivated staff capable of executing a new map well, especially given the exciting prospect of creating a new world.

I actually agree with this. Really well said!
Veteran Player: Joined 2013

PreviousNext