Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Suggestions Suggestion discussions Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION


Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Made a suggestion for the server? Discuss it here.
Moderator: HelloMiners Admin
Forum rules
This section is solely for discussing suggestions posted in the Suggestions forum section.
Please ensure you include a link at the top of your topic with the link to the suggestion topic in the forum mentioned above.
When naming your topic, please use the same name as the suggestion, followed by "- discussion"

Is this a good idea?

Raising apartment prices is a good idea
4
17%
Raising newbie capital is a good idea
1
4%
Both are great ideas
12
52%
Both are bad ideas
6
26%
 
Total votes : 23

Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby ~Satan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 pm

Discuss the following topic:
https://www.hellominers.com/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=35568
As addressed by many in plenty of topics before, our economy is suffering. Rather than making yet another whine topic I'm coming up with a possible solution.

For years the maximum price one could charge for an apartment aimed at newbies was 600f and as the economy wasn't that huge this still worked. It's how Weather made his fortune with The Weather Apartment Company which later gave us the beautiful city of Archendale, ergo, the apartment business is good for established players because they bring in money but it's also great for newbies because having an apartment brings a newbie one step closer to remaining on the server rather than leaving after 20 minutes. However, as the economy kept shifting to one where the majority of players have 50k or more on their balance this business became less desirable because advertising apartments takes effort and time that could be spent on more profitable businesses. That's why I am proposing the following two things:

- Raise the maximum price one can charge for an apartment to 2 or 3k and change the formula. There is literally no good reason why government cities should be able to charge more than private cities. I'd suggest a max cap of 7f per block, meaning a rather reasonable sized apartment of 20 by 20 blocks could go for as much as 2800f. (Now we're talking interesting business!).

- Raise the amount a newbie receives from 1500f to 5000f as this would help the player afford the more high-end apartments or they could buy a plot to help kickstart their business in a private city once they have a grip of how the server works. Which usually doesn't take long, once I got an apartment as a newbie, the first thing I did was save up to buy a plot in a private city and build my own apartment complex.

Cheerios suggested to even raise the newbie starter balance to 10k which would also be interesting but a bit too high I suppose, either way, both suggestions would bring more money into the economy and help newbies remain on the server
~Weather likes this post.
b]Proud District Manager and Citizen of Paradise Hills[/b]
Chief Marketing Officer of HMSCM
[b]Creator of https://HMGuide.info

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby DR_StevenStrange » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:01 am

I disagree with both ideas, as the issues pertaining to the economy are elsewhere. I remember a while ago, there were a few new players who completed the tutorial and still didnt understand how our economy worked. Perhaps our tutorial is either too complex or doesnt explain how our economy works well enough for new players to start off. That mixed with the lack of jobs and lack of players willing to assist new players in getting started and learning how our server works, leads to a low new player retention rate. By raising the price at which apartments can be rented at and raising the new player balance doesnt fix the underlying issues our economy currently has.
~Hari likes this post.
Mob maker since October 2017

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby ~Weather » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 am

Great point! I agree with both of them.

Looking back when I joined in 2016 new players started out with F1000. Over the last four years, inflation has well more than doubled if not tripled, therefore the amount new players start with should also be raised. Whatever the start balance is raised by, it should roughly correlate with the amount a new player can be at most rent.

I say at least 40% of their balance should be what the maximum amount someone can charge for month for an apartment. I think F3000 would be a great start balance as it is still under what most people sell plots for, but is still enough to start out. Anything above that to start would eliminate the apartment industry as players would just immediately buy a plot rather than rent an apartment. So 40% of F3000 would make it so the maximum someone can charge for an apartment is F1200. I think F6 or F7 a block seems reasonable.

The Weather Apartment Company officially shut down November 2017 after completing my city, but it's fate was inevitable. Later in 2017, new players stopped joining at the rate they were in 2016. While most probably did not notice, it significantly affected my company. I was entirely depending on someone new to join. After a while, it was no longer worth my time to literally be waiting around for someone to join just to rent them an apartment. Not only was it slowly getting less and less frequent when new players joined, but it was extremely hard to find people that were willing to work as an employee. So, I was left waiting around so much it allowed me time to build my city. After my city was built it was no longer officially worth my breath to take people to apartments and that was the demise of my company. It wasn't worth me keep running my company while managing a city so then I then stopped actively running the company.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. A change like such may help stimulate the economy and help keep more players onto the server by making everything more affordable.

~Weather
~Satan likes this post.
Image

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby ~Weather » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:09 am

DR_StevenStrange wrote:I disagree with both ideas, as the issues pertaining to the economy are elsewhere. I remember a while ago, there were a few new players who completed the tutorial and still didnt understand how our economy worked. Perhaps our tutorial is either too complex or doesnt explain how our economy works well enough for new players to start off. That mixed with the lack of jobs and lack of players willing to assist new players in getting started and learning how our server works, leads to a low new player retention rate. By raising the price at which apartments can be rented at and raising the new player balance doesnt fix the underlying issues our economy currently has.


Clearly something must change though. I remember back when I ran my apartment company it was a very competitive industry. Many players immediately flooded new players with welcome messages and offered their help in getting their first home. People even advertised apartments in global chat. Money was the incentive and it just is not there anymore. When is the last time you have seen an advertisement for apartments? Absolutely no one in Archendale is constructing apartment buildings anymore. I think other private cities can also concur that the industry is completely gone.

With concrete becoming the new standard for building, it has become much more expensive for players to build skyscrapers. Most players building apartment buildings also come from a lower class, further hindering their opportunity on the server.
2 people like this post.
Image

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby 4K606 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:42 am

~Weather wrote:Clearly something must change though. I remember back when I ran my apartment company it was a very competitive industry. Many players immediately flooded new players with welcome messages and offered their help in getting their first home. People even advertised apartments in global chat. Money was the incentive and it just is not there anymore. When is the last time you have seen an advertisement for apartments? Absolutely no one in Archendale is constructing apartment buildings anymore. I think other private cities can also concur that the industry is completely gone.

With concrete becoming the new standard for building, it has become much more expensive for players to build skyscrapers. Most players building apartment buildings also come from a lower class, further hindering their opportunity on the server.


Omg, I remember I re-did the tutorial in early 2018 for the hell of it and when I left I had like three people msg me to rent their apartments. Good Times xD
~Weather likes this post.
Surplus Discord: https://discord.gg/TbWcvKT
West Helloclan Manager
Co-Creator of October Fest!
Private City Dept. Evaluator

"Solitude is dangerous. It's very addictive.
It becomes a habit after you realise how
peaceful and calm it is. It's like you don't want
to deal with people anymore because they
drain your energy."
- Jim Carrey

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby ~Satan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:26 am

DR_StevenStrange wrote:I disagree with both ideas, as the issues pertaining to the economy are elsewhere. I remember a while ago, there were a few new players who completed the tutorial and still didnt understand how our economy worked. Perhaps our tutorial is either too complex or doesnt explain how our economy works well enough for new players to start off. That mixed with the lack of jobs and lack of players willing to assist new players in getting started and learning how our server works, leads to a low new player retention rate. By raising the price at which apartments can be rented at and raising the new player balance doesnt fix the underlying issues our economy currently has.


I agree that the tutorial might need simplification and that the lack of jobs is problematic as well. However, I have to disagree that apartments don't play a part here. Because if you remember apartment companies from the golden days than you also remember that they created jobs. As an apartment company owner one would often source out going after newbies to newbies. Let's say we follow Weathers standard for the 1200f cap, a newbie would with most companies receive 40% of that amount which is good for the apartment owner and for the newbie.

Like Weather said
Money was the incentive and it just is not there anymore.


And this is true. Money is the main motivation for most players. We could wait and hope for players to become more altruistic and help newbies out, but that's likely not gonna happen because short-term helping newbies isn't that profitable anymore.
2 people like this post.
b]Proud District Manager and Citizen of Paradise Hills[/b]
Chief Marketing Officer of HMSCM
[b]Creator of https://HMGuide.info

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby DR_StevenStrange » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:41 am

~Satan wrote:
DR_StevenStrange wrote:I disagree with both ideas, as the issues pertaining to the economy are elsewhere. I remember a while ago, there were a few new players who completed the tutorial and still didnt understand how our economy worked. Perhaps our tutorial is either too complex or doesnt explain how our economy works well enough for new players to start off. That mixed with the lack of jobs and lack of players willing to assist new players in getting started and learning how our server works, leads to a low new player retention rate. By raising the price at which apartments can be rented at and raising the new player balance doesnt fix the underlying issues our economy currently has.


I agree that the tutorial might need simplification and that the lack of jobs is problematic as well. However, I have to disagree that apartments don't play a part here. Because if you remember apartment companies from the golden days than you also remember that they created jobs. As an apartment company owner one would often source out going after newbies to newbies. Let's say we follow Weathers standard for the 1200f cap, a newbie would with most companies receive 40% of that amount which is good for the apartment owner and for the newbie.

Like Weather said
Money was the incentive and it just is not there anymore.


And this is true. Money is the main motivation for most players. We could wait and hope for players to become more altruistic and help newbies out, but that's likely not gonna happen because short-term helping newbies isn't that profitable anymore.

I agree that the apartment business gave new players jobs, but that doesnt fix the issue of our low new player retention rates. Because in order for the apartment business to flourish again, we need new players who stay. By raising the cost to rent apartments and new player balances doesnt fix the issue if they are having a hard time understanding our economy.
_mentalgamer_ likes this post.
Mob maker since October 2017

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby fluffythebunnyx3 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm

It would give new players a reason to keep playing, normally once a nubs rented their 100f apartment or whatever they have like 1.4k to blow on crap. They have nothing really to work for, but if apartments cost more they'd see a reason to get a job or find other things to do to make money so theyd could afford the apartment then earn more and more to move out. If the apartment costs more and they make it look nicer they'd want to show it too their friends or anyone in chat so not only do they have an idea of what to work for and on, they also make friends which tbh most people stay here to socialise with chat.

plus its more important that current players have worthwhile options, and renting out apartments can be kinda fun but also tough when you have to teach them how to use chest shops (?????????). I used to enjoy renting out apartments, it was cool too help new players and see what they make, plus yknow the money was ok. But less players started joining so it wasnt possible anymore.

if you want more new players to stay, you need more new players coming in truth is 99.5% of them leave often cause it just didnt click with them straight away. the best way to get more players is advertising on minecraft sights (we're only on like 5 now) and players voting, voting lots and lots, loads of new players joined when vote rewards were great and then they got nerfed and people stopped voting and new players stopped coming in.
joined November 10th 2017 init currently banned

unbanned on 1st feb 2020

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby fluffythebunnyx3 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:26 pm

also currently 75% of the votes like stans idea(s)
joined November 10th 2017 init currently banned

unbanned on 1st feb 2020

Re: Raising the 600F apartment cap [ECONOMY] - DISCUSSION

Postby chickenfarm7. » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Whilst the apartment price limit does need raising, have you ever seen someone actually get punished for charging over the limit? I certainly haven't! :lol:
shit on it

Proud owner of Cosmo Bay, CluckWorks and Cosmo Construction
perm banned :F

Next