Forum

HelloMiners Forum General Server Discussion Changes to the tutorial


Changes to the tutorial

General discussion concerning HelloMiners.

Changes to the tutorial

Postby SpartanPride7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Hey everyone! A lot of people have expressed that they want the tutorial to be changed. It is currently rather long and has lots of information that players may not retain. Therefore, what should a new tutorial be like? What information is necessary to have, and what should we avoid? All the comments here will help shape the new tutorial :).
3 people like this post.
"'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button now,
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe, just breathe."

I'm always open to chat with anyone who needs help or just wants a conversation. If anyone needs to talk, Discord me SpartanPride7#5210 . I check daily :)

Image

Re: Changed to the tutorial

Postby ~Maki » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 pm

What about instead of overloading new players with a bunch of information they won't retain, we change the tutorial to be as bare bones as possible to only include the absolute essential basics, helphub can be redone to contain all commands players need to know and other helpful information like government city information, private city information, job information, etc. can be moved to a special new player subforum and stickied.

If we go the route of creating a subforum for new players, we can get rid of the introduction forum and move it there, this also will allow veteran players to post jobs and apartment building topics in that forum as well which may help them even more.

*Edit*
When I get time later, I'll post a more detailed reply on my idea.
3 people like this post.
#ImWithBeta

Quil Family Reunion!
Image

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby _DJDoodle_ » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I feel having the tutorial explaining what the server is about, basic commands i.e warps, different things they can do. From there, if they had any specific things they wanted to do, they could go to helphub and find the appropriate tutorial. This means players who are here for fun don't have to read about inactivity formulas and government plot rules.

Maybe also add an instant invite set to never expire on a sign at the end so they can join the discord.
2 people like this post.
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Image

Image

Founder of Cape Coral!

Battle Palace Manager/Developer

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby MyNameIsSakura » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:33 pm

I mean I have no idea what the tutorial is like atm. Havent looked at it since I joined over 1 and a half years ago. If its like I remember with tons of boring signs then lets remove almost all signs. Use command blocks. Make the tutorial more interactive. Players hate reading bunches of info on signs. Just make the info pop up in chat for them to read and make it nice and colourful and nice too read. Maybe make it a bit cheesy so they engage with it a bit more so its not so boring
2 people like this post.
Sakura the pink nose reindeer
City Department Staff

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby Blocks_Away » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:10 pm

MyNameIsSakura wrote:I mean I have no idea what the tutorial is like atm. Havent looked at it since I joined over 1 and a half years ago. If its like I remember with tons of boring signs then lets remove almost all signs. Use command blocks. Make the tutorial more interactive. Players hate reading bunches of info on signs. Just make the info pop up in chat for them to read and make it nice and colourful and nice too read. Maybe make it a bit cheesy so they engage with it a bit more so its not so boring


I agree with sak, it should be more interactive. Not only by making everything colourfull etc. , but also by making the tutorial through HM, where you can explore certain areas while you learn something, instead of being in 1 building/area.
SpartanPride7 likes this post.
Cheese is very noice
Ty jUzter for your 200k!



Cheese

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby ~Max » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:18 am

Why is there a tutorial? It’s not like new players remember any information or use it maybe it’s not the tutorial it’s just a smart system that will let new players learn basic rules and commands. And yes help hub should be useful for new and experienced players. Ex: how to make trade signs or region signs ( rent, buy)
Sas Fried Chicken- Helper Chicken

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby SpartanPride7 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:38 pm

~Bear wrote:Why is there a tutorial? It’s not like new players remember any information or use it maybe it’s not the tutorial it’s just a smart system that will let new players learn basic rules and commands. And yes help hub should be useful for new and experienced players. Ex: how to make trade signs or region signs ( rent, buy)


A tutorial of some part is always going to be nessecary :P. However, the current tutorial is way more complex than it needs to be.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone! They have been helpful for me to make a rough outline of how this one will be different :). Do any of you have any specific topics they think must be put into the tutorial? For example, the Government Trade Center will be mentioned in it. What else should be added?
"'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button now,
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe, just breathe."

I'm always open to chat with anyone who needs help or just wants a conversation. If anyone needs to talk, Discord me SpartanPride7#5210 . I check daily :)

Image

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby _DJDoodle_ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm

SpartanPride7 wrote:
~Bear wrote:Why is there a tutorial? It’s not like new players remember any information or use it maybe it’s not the tutorial it’s just a smart system that will let new players learn basic rules and commands. And yes help hub should be useful for new and experienced players. Ex: how to make trade signs or region signs ( rent, buy)


A tutorial of some part is always going to be nessecary :P. However, the current tutorial is way more complex than it needs to be.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone! They have been helpful for me to make a rough outline of how this one will be different :). Do any of you have any specific topics they think must be put into the tutorial? For example, the Government Trade Center will be mentioned in it. What else should be added?

I know this is off-topic, however, when are we going to see the surgery results?
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Image

Image

Founder of Cape Coral!

Battle Palace Manager/Developer

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby ~Weather » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:38 pm

_DJDoodle_ wrote:
SpartanPride7 wrote:
~Bear wrote:Why is there a tutorial? It’s not like new players remember any information or use it maybe it’s not the tutorial it’s just a smart system that will let new players learn basic rules and commands. And yes help hub should be useful for new and experienced players. Ex: how to make trade signs or region signs ( rent, buy)


A tutorial of some part is always going to be nessecary :P. However, the current tutorial is way more complex than it needs to be.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone! They have been helpful for me to make a rough outline of how this one will be different :). Do any of you have any specific topics they think must be put into the tutorial? For example, the Government Trade Center will be mentioned in it. What else should be added?

I know this is off-topic, however, when are we going to see the surgery results?


HM underwent surgery!? :o

jk ik what u mean xD
_DJDoodle_ likes this post.
Image
Image
Net Worth - 1M+

Re: Changes to the tutorial

Postby _DJDoodle_ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 pm

~Weather wrote:
_DJDoodle_ wrote:I know this is off-topic, however, when are we going to see the surgery results?


HM underwent surgery!? :o

jk ik what u mean xD


hahaha my bad, survey!
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Image

Image

Founder of Cape Coral!

Battle Palace Manager/Developer

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!