Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Suggestions Suggestion discussions [Discussion] A Road to Recovery

[Discussion] A Road to Recovery

Made a suggestion for the server? Discuss it here.
Moderator: HelloMiners Admin
Forum rules
This section is solely for discussing suggestions posted in the Suggestions forum section.
Please ensure you include a link at the top of your topic with the link to the suggestion topic in the forum mentioned above.
When naming your topic, please use the same name as the suggestion, followed by "- discussion"

Re: [Discussion] A Road to Recovery

Postby Jcava5 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 am

gbt2001 wrote:
~Billy wrote:
Tyler15390 wrote:Define ugly? Its purely subjective. I think the Nublar/Ingen towers look pretty cool. Heritage buildings are never considered 'ugly' - its purely an era thing.

There are ugly buildings that are considered historic such as the house in 2nd row rc, all of vc outskirts, the city at the edge of North city, and many other buildings where the sole building material was oak wood planks and glass.

It's a shame things like the VC outskirts are considered "historic"... the only reasons those things exist is because the government didn't have the foresight to protect the land around the city. I agree most of those things probably shouldn't be considered "historic", especially because they are completely insignificant to the community and were never widely used or central to the server at all. But EGEO tower and InGen tower are not ugly at all, even by modern standards, and are some of the first buildings on the server. SFC market I don't think should be considered historic because its appearance has changed several times throughout the years. Even if they need to be moved a few blocks, I think those 2 buildings should definitely remain.

The others, like the RC house, VC surroundings, and other total eyesores that happen to be in prime locations should definitely be removed, as they have absolutely 0 significance to the community.
6 people like this post.
IGN: Jcava5 or ~JC
Joined August 2013
Founder & Owner of Orubo
Owner of Sudbury

Discord: Jcava5#6288

Postby CakeDevil275 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:29 pm

I don't agree with keep inventory being removed/limited.
Losing your items is just a hassle that isn't really needed. HM isn't a SMP and keep inventory is there for a reason!
5 people like this post.
CakeDevil_275
To reserve a plot in Bayview, discord me! Get first dibs now!

[+] My long list of jobs
- CEO of iBuy (2016-2018)
- Chairman of DTR (2018-2019)
- Owner of Blueline (2019 - 2020)
- Player Helper (2019 - present)
- City Department Evaluator (2019 - present)
- Manager of Ferron Island (2019 - present)
- stacked X. Board Member (2019 - present)
- Mayor/Owner of Bayview (2020 - present)

Postby gbt2001 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 pm

I mean we could have keep inventory removed since there is the soulbound enchant. Idk if it's the right move but at least if it was, our expensive weapons and armor wouldn't be lost

Postby captain_2ds » Sun May 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi All again!

Nice to see the server running again. :D I was playing a year ago, back when it was still running on 1.12.

I haven't been on for months and even though I played enough last year to get the hang of it, I was totally lost in this new HM setup, lol. Warps have changed, took me ages to figure out where and how the vote crates work. The Event Hub looks like a dark dungeon or gothic underground with holes everywhere...and the vote crate practically hidden in a far corner...maybe that's the style that's wanted, :D I really liked the clean look and feel of the old vote crates (they were in a nice building and clearly marked, with nice decor around them), but that could be just me.

That was my first impression coming back again after probably 8 months i think being away. Proabably I just have to get used to it and maybe that's how many Minecraft players like to experience the game :D (I haven't played any other online servers so can't compare).

I was tempted to try the tutorial to see if it explains things. Like I had to ask many times how to do the voting - maybe there's instructions somewhere in a forum post or elsewhere if not in the tutorial? (I figured the tutorial hasn't been updated, so I didn't try it...)

I might be doing it wrong, but the in game chat seems really really difficult to follow. I mean, I am older so not as used to this stuff as the younger gen anymore, lol, but it's so hard to see if someone replied to my question. I'm actually hoping I'm doing it wrong - is there a way to get a cleaner in game chat? (I'm thinking the server map might be nice alternative; i don't think i can use a chat app at the same time tho, which would be neat)

So this all would through off a new player, I think.

If the in game tutorial is hard to update, a simple web page with how-to would be really really helpful. Rather than asking in the chat and getting frustrated, I could look on a web page and figure out how all this new stuff works and what and it could give an example of what I could be doing (eg: suggest going here or there to find a place to live, where to buy stuff, etc.)

I wanted to comment on the apartment issue too, I did in an old post long time ago and still think that this idea of "get new players an apt. asap, then they have to find a job, etc" in order to keep the apartment industry going is the wrong approach. I know it's an economy server...but...it's like having a product that others don't' really want and trying to get the players to change instead... Much better to have something that the players naturally want.

I remember the first time I came on HM and someone showed me their apartment and encouraged me to rent it right there. Totally felt pressured and I don't know if it's a good area or not - why would I want to commit to renting a place when I have no idea what's going on yet?

There's also the obvious fact that there are a zillion apartments to rent, the supply and demand really isn't there and you can't fake that to make it work (eg: lets have players pretend anyways) - so basing the server economy off that I don't see working.

Personally I like having a house in in the game I can call my own, that's pretty cool. Minecraft really is about crafting, so my tendency is to go out into the wild and craft something! And explore the amazing cities. And crafting jobs would be fun too.

I play infrequently enough that the vote crates give me enough money to get by. I really wouldn't want to grind for hours to get a few 1000F's... my goodness.... Minecraft is for crafting. :D
4K606 likes this post.

Postby CakeDevil275 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:17 pm

captain_2ds wrote:Hi All again!

Nice to see the server running again. :D I was playing a year ago, back when it was still running on 1.12.

I haven't been on for months and even though I played enough last year to get the hang of it, I was totally lost in this new HM setup, lol. Warps have changed, took me ages to figure out where and how the vote crates work. The Event Hub looks like a dark dungeon or gothic underground with holes everywhere...and the vote crate practically hidden in a far corner...maybe that's the style that's wanted, :D I really liked the clean look and feel of the old vote crates (they were in a nice building and clearly marked, with nice decor around them), but that could be just me.

That was my first impression coming back again after probably 8 months i think being away. Proabably I just have to get used to it and maybe that's how many Minecraft players like to experience the game :D (I haven't played any other online servers so can't compare).

I was tempted to try the tutorial to see if it explains things. Like I had to ask many times how to do the voting - maybe there's instructions somewhere in a forum post or elsewhere if not in the tutorial? (I figured the tutorial hasn't been updated, so I didn't try it...)

I might be doing it wrong, but the in game chat seems really really difficult to follow. I mean, I am older so not as used to this stuff as the younger gen anymore, lol, but it's so hard to see if someone replied to my question. I'm actually hoping I'm doing it wrong - is there a way to get a cleaner in game chat? (I'm thinking the server map might be nice alternative; i don't think i can use a chat app at the same time tho, which would be neat)

So this all would through off a new player, I think.

If the in game tutorial is hard to update, a simple web page with how-to would be really really helpful. Rather than asking in the chat and getting frustrated, I could look on a web page and figure out how all this new stuff works and what and it could give an example of what I could be doing (eg: suggest going here or there to find a place to live, where to buy stuff, etc.)

I wanted to comment on the apartment issue too, I did in an old post long time ago and still think that this idea of "get new players an apt. asap, then they have to find a job, etc" in order to keep the apartment industry going is the wrong approach. I know it's an economy server...but...it's like having a product that others don't' really want and trying to get the players to change instead... Much better to have something that the players naturally want.

I remember the first time I came on HM and someone showed me their apartment and encouraged me to rent it right there. Totally felt pressured and I don't know if it's a good area or not - why would I want to commit to renting a place when I have no idea what's going on yet?

There's also the obvious fact that there are a zillion apartments to rent, the supply and demand really isn't there and you can't fake that to make it work (eg: lets have players pretend anyways) - so basing the server economy off that I don't see working.

Personally I like having a house in in the game I can call my own, that's pretty cool. Minecraft really is about crafting, so my tendency is to go out into the wild and craft something! And explore the amazing cities. And crafting jobs would be fun too.

I play infrequently enough that the vote crates give me enough money to get by. I really wouldn't want to grind for hours to get a few 1000F's... my goodness.... Minecraft is for crafting. :D

The Apartment system is long gone, but I think houses are a great investment and there's not so much supply that it heavily outweighs the demand
CakeDevil_275
To reserve a plot in Bayview, discord me! Get first dibs now!

[+] My long list of jobs
- CEO of iBuy (2016-2018)
- Chairman of DTR (2018-2019)
- Owner of Blueline (2019 - 2020)
- Player Helper (2019 - present)
- City Department Evaluator (2019 - present)
- Manager of Ferron Island (2019 - present)
- stacked X. Board Member (2019 - present)
- Mayor/Owner of Bayview (2020 - present)

Postby sgtsurfinbyrd » Fri May 29, 2020 2:52 am

I have seen a lot from Hello Miners since I first joined the MC Server in 2011. I was going to write a long a comprehensive post in response to some of these ideas that would have likely made this server better in the long run. I would have also proposed some of my own ideas. But if my time here also taught has me one thing: Many people on hello miners are not willing to make sacrifices that would allow this server to recuperate its losses over the years, and therefore prevent the server from improving. Thus my efforts would otherwise be a complete waste of time. So instead I will leave you with this.

I recently decided to compare data of the average maximum number of players online (at any given time) during one month over the last year, to that of three years ago. And I found the results rather surprising.

The average maximum number of players online (at any given time) during a month:
From June 2016 through May 2017: 79.8
From June 2019 through May 2020: 33.1

That is a change of 58% in the wrong direction. And while this is not the average amount of players online (I could not find that data), I would expect it to follow a similar trend. So, if things continue on Hello Miners as they have been over the last several years, Hello Miners will no longer exist in a few years from now.

To summarize Charles Darwin: It is adapt or die for everything, Hello Miners included.
9 people like this post.

Postby ~Ryan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:45 pm

~Billy wrote:People aren't going to like this, but the old economy was a lot better.

Sure there were ways of exploiting, like ender farms, iron farms and sellchests, but there was a genuine incentive 'back in the day' to literally mine stacks of cobble and sell them to the gov building. As soon as these weird automated shop mods came in (2018ish), as well as the fishing exploits, I lost interest. Call me old-fashioned, but i honestly think it became a bit over-complicated. The mobbounty was good as it created an incentive to kill the zombies on the edge of your property, rather than let them randomly walk around in the dark.

I think government projects are great for jobs and the economy. The economy was booming in 2015-16 with the West City and North City expansions, and people were buying shit. I think its important to once again increase these incentives. One of my first jobs back in the day was mining for the original Suburbs with MissileGamer, Zelreedy and a few others.

The mods and staff since i've come back seem really switched on, they know their stuff, so I have confidence with the right choices the server is still in good hands.

^ This is something I very strongly agree with.

In my opinion, which is probably misinformed because I just started playing again, is as follows:
1) Something needs to change about fishing. I have no clue how it works so I really can't what needs to change with it, but it definitely has monopolized the entire job market. Fishing is far too overpowered and easy compared to the amount of money you can make from it. And ultimately, as far as I know, it doesn't do a whole lot for the economy or players.
2) As I mentioned months ago, private cities can and need to be revived. How this could be done is not clear cut, however I still stand by the idea of letting players select what city they want to start in (Maybe using teleport buttons or signs, whatever it is now.) This would work around the idea of tiers, if that is even still a thing, so only certain high-quality cities could have this potential. This would increase business activity in private cities in addition to incentivizing private cities.
3) Wild land price needs to be raised. It has been a very long time since the price changed, and at this point, there is not much use for wild land when we have so much excess that is already regioned for dying cities. While I am not entirely sure what this cost should be, I saw some values thrown out like 10F/block which I could get behind. By raising wild land prices, we increase the demand for plots and buildings and homes in cities because the price is comparable and has better perks. This is definitely something that needs to be done in addition to comprehensive wild land reform. Regions need to be removed, some haven't been used in years nor have the players been active.
4) Wider scale government jobs need to be a normal thing. The economy and server are thriving when there is a balance between interacting with players and making money. In my experiences working on government jobs (such as when the suburbs were completely redone and when Crystal Bay was being built), I gained not only money but relationships and credibility with other players on the server. This helps the economy obviously, but it really builds a community bond.

These are ultimately just a few ideas, and I definitely don't think they are 100% accurate or relevant to the state of the server; however, this is just my two cents.
Sir_Binary likes this post.
Fishing is a mindless task that takes no skill and should not be highly rewarded. [/u]

Discord Tag: ~Ryan#0034

Postby Sir_Binary » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:47 pm

we have all these solutions right in front of us but I know for a fact 99% of them will be forgotten. can the staff reading this topic please take all of these suggestions into account and can we unite as a community for form common goals onto what solutions would be in the best interest of everyone? thank you
sub to my yt rn or you owe me F10k
https://www.youtube.com/sirbinary

alternatively send a really nice msg to my discord
sirbinary#7593

Previous