Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Suggestions Suggestion discussions [Discussion] A Road to Recovery

[Discussion] A Road to Recovery

Made a suggestion for the server? Discuss it here.
Moderator: HelloMiners Admin
Forum rules
This section is solely for discussing suggestions posted in the Suggestions forum section.
Please ensure you include a link at the top of your topic with the link to the suggestion topic in the forum mentioned above.
When naming your topic, please use the same name as the suggestion, followed by "- discussion"

Re: [Discussion] A Road to Recovery

Postby ZacTheMan1 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:25 pm

~Weather wrote:
Cheerios32 wrote:There's a lot with this suggestion, but I'm just going to address what's on my mind at this second:

You suggest banning autofarms.
Er, how? It's a significant task to try and find all the autofarms on the server. It's almost certainly possible, maybe a better way would be to use a plugin to fairly unsubtly nerf them (e.g. pistons breaking melons/pumpkins/whatever else will fail x% of the time).

I agree, finding all the autofarms and removing them would be an enormous task but, I think the compromise you mentioned is interesting.

I understand how Doodle and I think Strange mentioned how people worked hard and spent money to build these farms, but the reality is as of now, the items it is producing are invaluable. I don’t see how anyone is benefiting from having a machine produce worthless items. As of now it’s pretty pointless to even have a machine.

You mentioned how we could make it so pistons breaking melons/pumpkins/whatever else will fail x% of the time. A compromise like such kind of defeats the purpose of trying to create jobs. I think it may only encourage people to build larger farms rather then make farms and job centers for new players. The fail rate would have to be pretty high.

If a low piston break rate was instituted, we could also possibly make it so if a melon/sugarcane/whatever was broke by hand after being naturally spawned it would break and give more yield then normal (maybe like x1.5-2?)

This would reward working individuals rather than machine owners which could help provide jobs for new players.

We should not be trying to change the game mechanics of Minecraft. Some players enjoy playing on the server because you are able to create large farms. For me, I do not really care about the money rather than having a specific item on hand. To add, melons and pumpkins hold absolutely 0 value. There is not one good crafting recipe that they are used for which would mean new players would get nothing by selling them. If you start removing Minecraft mechanics from the server it will eventually lead to no one wanting to play.
3 people like this post.

Postby UnboxingGold » Tue May 19, 2020 6:39 pm

ZacTheMan1 wrote:
~Weather wrote:
Cheerios32 wrote:There's a lot with this suggestion, but I'm just going to address what's on my mind at this second:

You suggest banning autofarms.
Er, how? It's a significant task to try and find all the autofarms on the server. It's almost certainly possible, maybe a better way would be to use a plugin to fairly unsubtly nerf them (e.g. pistons breaking melons/pumpkins/whatever else will fail x% of the time).

I agree, finding all the autofarms and removing them would be an enormous task but, I think the compromise you mentioned is interesting.

I understand how Doodle and I think Strange mentioned how people worked hard and spent money to build these farms, but the reality is as of now, the items it is producing are invaluable. I don’t see how anyone is benefiting from having a machine produce worthless items. As of now it’s pretty pointless to even have a machine.

You mentioned how we could make it so pistons breaking melons/pumpkins/whatever else will fail x% of the time. A compromise like such kind of defeats the purpose of trying to create jobs. I think it may only encourage people to build larger farms rather then make farms and job centers for new players. The fail rate would have to be pretty high.

If a low piston break rate was instituted, we could also possibly make it so if a melon/sugarcane/whatever was broke by hand after being naturally spawned it would break and give more yield then normal (maybe like x1.5-2?)

This would reward working individuals rather than machine owners which could help provide jobs for new players.

We should not be trying to change the game mechanics of Minecraft. Some players enjoy playing on the server because you are able to create large farms. For me, I do not really care about the money rather than having a specific item on hand. To add, melons and pumpkins hold absolutely 0 value. There is not one good crafting recipe that they are used for which would mean new players would get nothing by selling them. If you start removing Minecraft mechanics from the server it will eventually lead to no one wanting to play.

I agree with Zach we shouldn't be changing things in the core of Minecraft people joining the server should to an extend have some knowledge on how to play Minecraft and if we start taking away the basics of Minecraft and building people legit are going to leave and then what's the point of this server

I also want to remind people that at the end of the day this is simply just a game most parts of the economy have to be easy cause people are not going to sit on Minecraft and play 24/7 while there's more incentive to just do that in real life

Postby Jcava5 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:51 pm

I agree, I don't think large farms should be banned. If someone has figured out a way to mass-produce something then I don't think they should be punished for it, that's part of the game and part of an economy. Raising land prices could be an interesting idea although all land prices would have to be raised together, in my opinion that's going down a slippery slope...

The other ideas you mentioned are obviously important, such as increasing marketing, making sure the tutorial is working to retain new players, more frequent events, etc... I think these issues will naturally be solved with better structure and coordination amongst staff.
3 people like this post.
IGN: Jcava5 or ~JC
Joined August 2013
Founder & Owner of Orubo
Owner of Sudbury

Discord: Jcava5#6288

Postby ~Weather » Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm

I can see why people would wish to keep auto farms as is and I fully respect that. When I was thinking of different ways to create jobs, this was just one thing that came to mind. I was thinking if we made things less automated, it would create jobs. Of course there are other ways to create jobs, but that was just one that came to mind.

Other then the auto farm stuff, opinions on the other stuff mentioned in the topic?

Postby CudleyNubles » Tue May 19, 2020 8:12 pm

I think instead of removing auto farms. We remove spawners. Without spawners, the value of things like rockets, food and other consumables will go up.

Postby UnboxingGold » Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 pm

CudleyNubles wrote:I think instead of removing auto farms. We remove spawners. Without spawners, the value of things like rockets, food and other consumables will go up.

be an interesting idea food is so cheap that its not even profitable for most shops to stock it if there's a way to increase the price but not to the point where its horrible it might be something to look into

Postby ~Billy » Wed May 20, 2020 1:32 am

Are heritage listed buildings torn down in real life to make way for new skyscrapers by new businesses?

No. I dont think the Ingen Tower, Egeo Tower, Fresh's SFC and many other historical buildings should be torn down simply because some people think theyre eyesores. Just because you dont remember the history behind it all, doesnt mean we need to continue to remove the server's identity. In 2100 i dont think the City of New York would tear down the Empire State Building because its "ugly" - it would just be accepted as a historical icon as well as being of the style at the time.
~Billy
Owner Of BTN Network (What is this 2016?)
(Former) Owner of North Bay, Southgate, Columbia, Oasis and several other cities
(Former) Owner and Creator of the MegaCentre (it got taken away from me lol)
(Former) Swamp Isles Founderer
Send me a pm if you're interested in working together on some-ting

Postby Tyler15390 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:16 am

~Billy wrote:Are heritage listed buildings torn down in real life to make way for new skyscrapers by new businesses?

No. I dont think the Ingen Tower, Egeo Tower, Fresh's SFC and many other historical buildings should be torn down simply because some people think theyre eyesores. Just because you dont remember the history behind it all, doesnt mean we need to continue to remove the server's identity. In 2100 i dont think the City of New York would tear down the Empire State Building because its "ugly" - it would just be accepted as a historical icon as well as being of the style at the time.

The difference is that historic buildings in real life aren’t ugly while many of the earliest creations on the server are. But I do agree that such buildings on the server should still be preserved.
Joined 2017

Real estate owner
Builder/designer
Shop owner

“Form ever follows function.” – Louis Sullivan

Postby ~Billy » Wed May 20, 2020 2:30 am

Tyler15390 wrote:
~Billy wrote:Are heritage listed buildings torn down in real life to make way for new skyscrapers by new businesses?

The difference is that historic buildings in real life aren’t ugly while many of the earliest creations on the server are. But I do agree that such buildings on the server should still be preserved.

Define ugly? Its purely subjective. I think the Nublar/Ingen towers look pretty cool. Heritage buildings are never considered 'ugly' - its purely an era thing.
~Billy
Owner Of BTN Network (What is this 2016?)
(Former) Owner of North Bay, Southgate, Columbia, Oasis and several other cities
(Former) Owner and Creator of the MegaCentre (it got taken away from me lol)
(Former) Swamp Isles Founderer
Send me a pm if you're interested in working together on some-ting

Postby gbt2001 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 am

~Billy wrote:
Tyler15390 wrote:

Define ugly? Its purely subjective. I think the Nublar/Ingen towers look pretty cool. Heritage buildings are never considered 'ugly' - its purely an era thing.

There are ugly buildings that are considered historic such as the house in 2nd row rc, all of vc outskirts, the city at the edge of North city, and many other buildings where the sole building material was oak wood planks and glass.

PreviousNext