Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Suggestions Suggestion discussions [Discussion] A Road to Recovery

[Discussion] A Road to Recovery

Made a suggestion for the server? Discuss it here.
Moderator: HelloMiners Admin
Forum rules
This section is solely for discussing suggestions posted in the Suggestions forum section.
Please ensure you include a link at the top of your topic with the link to the suggestion topic in the forum mentioned above.
When naming your topic, please use the same name as the suggestion, followed by "- discussion"

[Discussion] A Road to Recovery

Postby ~Weather » Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm

Hello!

Today I would like to lay out some ideas that are vital to restoring the server. Whether you personally support or do not support the ideas, please read the whole topic or section before immediately commenting! If you disagree, please explain why. Here are the main topics on this thread: supporting new players, creating jobs, other economic changes, and finally community engagement.

#1. Supporting New Players:

New players are vital to the survival of the server. For a long time now, this population of the server has been so widely ignored, they have gone extinct. Since there are no more new players, here are some changes that must happen in order to bring back this population:

a) Fix the tutorial! This is a great place to start. A basic tutorial is extremely needed. I suggest we have a main tutorial that everyone is required to complete and then have several smaller optional industry specific tutorials that expand on the main one. It is important to provide only the necessary information in the main tutorial so we do not overwhelm someone new.

ai) Main Tutorial: The main tutorial needs to vaguely show all the different industries on the server so a player knows of all of the potential job opportunities. It should also show the main /warps such as Helloclan, River City, and Valley City. It also needs to introduce basic common commands that everyone uses such as /bal and /pay. The main tutorial should not take longer than five minutes to complete. A completion book could be given to summarize the tutorial to reference in the future.

aii) Industry Specific tutorials: further details about specific industries can be put into separate smaller tutorials for new players to optionally do after completing the main tutorial. A few examples of some smaller tutorials that could be implemented would be a brewing tutorial, slimefun tutorial, shop tutorial, apartment tutorial, etc. Each industry tutorial would explain the different commands, tools, structures, and any other objects used in the industry. Similar to the main tutorial, a completion book could be given to summarize the tutorial to reference in the future.

b) Raising the start balance. A start balance of F1500 is nowhere near sufficient. Costs of plots, materials, and just about everything has risen and so should the new player start balance! While the exact start amount can be debated, I suggest a good start balance in today’s economy should be F4000.

c) Providing new players with better items when they start. A stack of steak along with enchanted iron armour should be included. The armour should be enchanted with unbreaking III (or IV or V if possible), protection IV, and aqua infinity to promote mining gravel to create concrete.

#2. Creating Jobs!

Here are some changes that could be changed to instantly create jobs in a variety of industries. While some may be controversial, if the proposed changes were made it would better the overall population.

a) Raise the amount apartments can be rented out for. If the start balance is raised to F4000 like suggested above the apartment rules could be mended like such:

A new player may not be charged more than F5 (a change from F4) per block of apartment floor surface per month in government cities.
A new player may not be charged more than F6 (a change from F3) per block of apartment floor surface per month in private cities.
A new player may not be charged more than F1000 (a change from F600) for apartments of any size or any duration.
While the amount per block should be raised, I don’t think it should be raised too much because it is important to improve the new player quality of life by encouraging future apartment buildings to have larger rooms rather than a small 8x8 area.This has been suggested many times in the past, but I hope people can realize that absolutely no one is making apartment buildings anymore because they are not profitable!

b) Banning and removing automatic melon, sugarcane, and pumpkin machines. Each type of these machines have collapsed the value of these items. There is such a surplus of all of these, it has all become extremely invaluable. I have yet to see one, but automatic bamboo machines will also collapse the value of bamboo and hence should also be banned. Each of these items can be manually farmed and can provide perfect jobs for new players.

c) Disabling non-natural spawners such as cow, pig, sheep, shulker, etc. Similar to how melon, sugar, and pumpkin have all invaluable so has the value of meat and shulkers. If the non-natural spawners were disabled, again this would provide new players and the overall population with farming jobs.

d) Constructing new government highways into the latest map expansion and into government cities. This is pretty self explanatory, but infrastructure is important especially if the server wants to have the car plugin.

#3. Other changes:

a) Modifying the fishing plugin. I think most can agree, at first the current fishing plugin seemed to be a great addition to the server, but it has unintentionally caused other problems. No matter what augments someone may have, no one should be making more than F3,000 an hour. A regular rod should make roughly F1,500 an hour while an OP rod could be on the higher end making F3,000 an hour.

Fishing is a mindless task that takes no skill and should not be highly rewarded. It has unintentionally shut down other industries because it is so much more profitable! Part of the reason is that builders, designers, small shop owners, apartment renters, and brewers have all turned to fishing because it is so much more OP! They make more money fishing so why would they do anything else?

b) Modifying keep-inventory. While this issue has been debated so many times in the past a good compromise can be made. When a player dies, they should be allowed to keep their main hotbar and armour so that main tools can’t be lost, but the rest of the items would be dropped. The bottom line is that when someone dies and their items are thrown on the ground there is a chance they disappear. The chance of someone not being able to retrieve their items after dying is vital to supporting the economy. This will help shops as more of everything will be needed as some is lost through death. This will also encourage players to invest into armour and other tools that would protect them. Lastly, this will encourage players to invest in void backpacks. A new plugin that allows you to buy a player head that you can right click into an inventory. Similar to a shulker box, but doesn’t require being placed. Let’s be honest, the majority of the server lives in cities where mob spawning is disabled AND already has OP armour that makes it extremely hard for them to die!

c) Moving or removing inactive and or “historical” buildings in government cities. I saw the new plaques that historical buildings can now apply for, but I think it is necessary for buildings like the Egeo and inGen buildings to be moved to a historical site. While they were very nice buildings in their time and contributed to the development of the server, as time has gone on they are now outdated and eyesores. They take up valuable space that could be better used to promote a variety of stores.

d) Better advertising! I could not have said it better than what Jenica said, so I am just going to link you to her topic. viewtopic.php?f=299&t=36006

#4. Community engagement:

Ironball and other events need to be brought back! It is important for staff and players to interact other than through /ticket creates and trouble! Everyone loves a good minigame! It can be a nice break from any jobs they may be doing in game and could also serve as a stress reliever.

I hope that this topic is able to actually bring about reform to the server and not be lost in the forums. Change has to be made as the server is barely surviving with its composite of maybe 50 active members!
9 people like this post.

Re: [Discussion] A Road to Recovery

Postby ~Doodle » Mon May 18, 2020 8:58 pm

I think 1.5k an hour for baseline rods is good as it is on par with stone mining. As for higher end rods, I also think 3k is good as the difficulty to get the augments is really high.
3 people like this post.
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

"The army might be the safest job apart from getting shot at." - Doodle 2k19

[+] Cool Stuff
https://imgur.com/HBDRhwT
https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Postby KennethDev » Mon May 18, 2020 10:38 pm

~Doodle wrote:I think 1.5k an hour for baseline rods is good as it is on par with stone mining. As for higher end rods, I also think 3k is good as the difficulty to get the augments is really high.

If there was a place to sell stone reliably and infinitely, which there is not.
HM Player since 2015
[+] Meme

Postby DR_StevenStrange » Mon May 18, 2020 10:44 pm

I highly disagree with raising the new player balance. Already we are seeing a majority of new players spending their money on a wild region and then leaving because they are out of money. They are not renting apartments, which is causing the apartment business to die. By raising the new player balance, it ultimately kills the apartment business in the end. As for banning spawners and auto farms, it would upset a lot of veteran players who have spent hundreds of thousands of forsals on both regioning and materials. Something that could lead to veteran players leaving, which is something we dont want. What we want is to be able to keep both veteran and new players alike. As for things like more jobs, moving historical buildings, changing the amount made by fishing, more gov projects, and more community interaction, I support. The rest of it I see as something that will either cause a massive divide among our community, or will cause many players and possibly important key players to leave.
7 people like this post.
Mob maker since October 2017

Postby Amoni » Mon May 18, 2020 11:03 pm

1) Agreeing with everything you said
2) how's this for an idea...raise value of the wild to something like 500f a block, force people to actually move into apartment buildings, create a grant scheme for cities that show true potential for player/government-backed loans to actually expand if land was to be so expensive :)
3 people like this post.

Postby gbt2001 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:08 pm

DR_StevenStrange wrote:I highly disagree with raising the new player balance. Already we are seeing a majority of new players spending their money on a wild region and then leaving because they are out of money. They are not renting apartments, which is causing the apartment business to die. By raising the new player balance, it ultimately kills the apartment business in the end. As for banning spawners and auto farms, it would upset a lot of veteran players who have spent hundreds of thousands of forsals on both regioning and materials. Something that could lead to veteran players leaving, which is something we dont want. What we want is to be able to keep both veteran and new players alike. As for things like more jobs, moving historical buildings, changing the amount made by fishing, more gov projects, and more community interaction, I support. The rest of it I see as something that will either cause a massive divide among our community, or will cause many players and possibly important key players to leave.

We should raise the cap so there is incentive for people to recruit players into apartments.
2 people like this post.

Postby 4K606 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 pm

It has been a very long time since the price of land has increased. (3f-5f)

Why not raise land value to 10f a block?
2 people like this post.
Joined Hellominers Feb. 14th 2017
West Helloclan Manager
Co-Creator of October Fest!
Private City Dept. Regulator
Owner of Emerald Cove!

Postby ~Weather » Mon May 18, 2020 11:45 pm

DR_StevenStrange wrote:I highly disagree with raising the new player balance. Already we are seeing a majority of new players spending their money on a wild region and then leaving because they are out of money. They are not renting apartments, which is causing the apartment business to die. By raising the new player balance, it ultimately kills the apartment business in the end. As for banning spawners and auto farms, it would upset a lot of veteran players who have spent hundreds of thousands of forsals on both regioning and materials. Something that could lead to veteran players leaving, which is something we dont want. What we want is to be able to keep both veteran and new players alike. As for things like more jobs, moving historical buildings, changing the amount made by fishing, more gov projects, and more community interaction, I support. The rest of it I see as something that will either cause a massive divide among our community, or will cause many players and possibly important key players to leave.

For your apartment concern, I could see why this may be happening now, it wouldn’t be happening had an apartment industry existed in the first place. No one is even offering apartments now anymore because they are so unprofitable therefore new players turn to the wild to get land. Had people been advertising apartments and actively trying to recruit them to fill buildings I don’t think this would happen.

As for your concern about veterans being upset. In the proposal above not all spawners would be banned. Only the unnatural ones like shulkers, pigs, cows, sheep etc. would be barred from operating because it kills new player jobs.

You mentioned veterans who may have huge auto farms. While it may be disappointing for them to no longer be able to operate the autofarm, I really don’t see the value of it in the first place. There is already such a surplus of the items there is really no point in owning one anymore. They aren’t even making money off it now.

As for the player divide and losing veterans I don’t see that happening honestly. I think we’ve basically hit rock bottom as of the moment so I think we’ve already lost everyone we would lose.
4 people like this post.

Postby Holaitsjas » Tue May 19, 2020 12:06 am

Raising land value could cause people to just unregion their land at a higher price and make the gov go bankrupt lol. Maybe put a time limit before someone can rg wild land? Idk
OmnieDD likes this post.
~Jenipe
---------------
1st Prince of Montego Bay
Trial-Mod 4/30/20
Discord: jayce#9445

Postby DR_StevenStrange » Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 am

~Weather wrote:
For your apartment concern, I could see why this may be happening now, it wouldn’t be happening had an apartment industry existed in the first place. No one is even offering apartments now anymore because they are so unprofitable therefore new players turn to the wild to get land. Had people been advertising apartments and actively trying to recruit them to fill buildings I don’t think this would happen.

As for your concern about veterans being upset. In the proposal above not all spawners would be banned. Only the unnatural ones like shulkers, pigs, cows, sheep etc. would be barred from operating because it kills new player jobs.

You mentioned veterans who may have huge auto farms. While it may be disappointing for them to no longer be able to operate the autofarm, I really don’t see the value of it in the first place. There is already such a surplus of the items there is really no point in owning one anymore. They aren’t even making money off it now.

As for the player divide and losing veterans I don’t see that happening honestly. I think we’ve basically hit rock bottom as of the moment so I think we’ve already lost everyone we would lose.

Then instead of raising the balance of new players, people should be advertising their apartments. As for the unnatural spawners, I think pigs and cows are fine, because a lot of players have built up their companies around them. And some players, like Fresh, have created public jobs for players using these types of spawners. But something like a shulker spawner shouldnt be allowed, instead an alternate way to get shulker shells should be provided. Also I dont believe we are at rock bottom for players, as we still have a fair amount of active players who play every day.
Mob maker since October 2017

Next