Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Other Server chunk corruption poll

Server chunk corruption poll

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, you can post it here.

What do you think we should do to fix chunk corruption issues?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:01 am

Rollback the server
9%
Attempt to regenerate the chunk
34%
A server reset
57%

Total votes : 74

Server chunk corruption poll

Postby Government » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 am

Hi all,

I am making this an official poll as many people have already voted. I have transferred ownership of the post from chickenfarm7 to gov. -Luc
Chickenfarm7 made it to collate together everyones opinions from the discussion topic: viewtopic.php?f=186&t=36197

Each option has its pros and cons but you can see those in Luc's original post:
Hello everybody,

I really wish I did not have to make this topic, especially so soon after re-opening. It really is frustrating that this is happening, however it is not something we really have control of. The server crashed today due to one or more corrupt chunks. The server will not be back up until we can fix this.

Unfortunately however, we must face the reality of what could happen. I know it is not good to assume the worst, however there are some serious worries that should be addressed. As some know, the original worldmap was reset due to it becoming corrupted, the same goes for the plot-style build server we had for many years. It is an inevitability as far as we understand that chunk corruption may occur, and is even warned about when loading up an old filesave in singleplayer Minecraft on new updates. This is where we have to discuss what to do next. I know many people really dislike the idea of a world reset, there is so much history, so much work done and so much work left to do by the current community. The issue however is this - every time there is a corrupted chunk that someone enters, the server will crash. This could cause other chunks to corrupt, leading to downtime every time there is a corrupted chunk. We would need to either rollback (if possible, however we wouldn't know how far back we would have to go in backups to avoid one with a corrupted chunk) or attempt to regenerate the chunk that was corrupted. This would mean chunks within a city, a private region, anywhere within the older sections of the map are at risk, and regenerating these chunks would lead to potentially massive changes in the region, as well as lost progress. This would happen every time a corrupted chunk is entered, and there is no way for us to know of the corrupted chunk until the server crashes as a result of one. I hate downtime, and I am sure everyone else does too. I still have to discuss with cheer more about this, but so far it seems the best course of action to prevent this from happening would be to generate a new world. If not now, it will happen eventually, just as it happened before with this server and with the build server.

Please discuss here, we want to know what the community thinks about this. We are still trying to determine the logistics, as well as if there is a potential for us to transfer certain things over to a new map, but right now we are not certain. Again, please discuss, we want to know what the community thinks, as we know this is a very serious issue that affects all of us equally. We want to make sure everyone (or as many people as possible) is happy with the result of the decision.

*I'm not trying to mini mod or whatever, I just thought this could be helpful to have a collated, visual view that shows the communities opinions.

EDIT: You can now change your vote.

Re: Server chunk corruption poll

Postby DR_StevenStrange » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:09 am

I would like to point out that rolling back the server or fixing the corrupted chunks will only delay the inevitable and it could cause the map to become completely corrupted with no ability to salvage it. At this current time, we at least have a chance to be able to salvage parts of the map and transfer them to a new map if that is what the staff decide to do.
6 people like this post.
Mob maker since October 2017

Postby Sir_Binary » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:10 am

DR_StevenStrange wrote:I would like to point out that rolling back the server or fixing the corrupted chunks will only delay the inevitable and it could cause the map to become completely corrupted with no ability to salvage it. At this current time, we at least have a chance to be able to salvage parts of the map and transfer them to a new map if that is what the staff decide to do.

can't delete this so pls ignore this msg <3
Last edited by Sir_Binary on Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my last signature looked spammy so uh yeah add my disc at sirbinary#7593 if you want <3

Postby Spellbind4201 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:55 am

Well I don't think it'd be called a "reset" if it was just a new map with everything transferred but yeah I'm for that.
Net Worth: 1,000,000+
Proud owner of <Spellbound Inc.>

Postby _UltraPro_ » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 am

I can see literal parallels with this and not wearing a mask. I mean how do we even know theres map corruption :oops: i say lets open up the server!!!

#conspiracy

This is a joke. But jcava delete this if you want.
6 people like this post.

Postby gbt2001 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:11 am

DR_StevenStrange wrote:I would like to point out that rolling back the server or fixing the corrupted chunks will only delay the inevitable and it could cause the map to become completely corrupted with no ability to salvage it. At this current time, we at least have a chance to be able to salvage parts of the map and transfer them to a new map if that is what the staff decide to do.

I mean I kind of agree with this. The chunk issues seem to be getting worse and a lot of the map is kind of useless anyways and would be nice for it to look nice and clean again.
Sir_Binary likes this post.

Postby ~Jake » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:16 am

Worldedit the important cities, farms and regions upon request into an identical map. Keep the wild areas new and fresh.
Need shaders photographs? Message me in game Jacy913 or my Discord Jake#9533.

[+] Shaders Gallery

In-Game: Active
Forums: Active

Postby ~Luc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 pm

~Jake wrote:Worldedit the important cities, farms and regions upon request into an identical map. Keep the wild areas new and fresh.

A lot of you guys keep on saying identical map. This is not possible, world generation was changed, it is impossible on a new map to have it identical to what we have currently.
4 people like this post.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019
Engineering Student

Postby skunkdonkey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Hot take I know, but I think if we reset the map we shouldn't bring anything along with it. Reset the whole server, invs, bals, everything. A fresh, well planned economy could be put in place, and it would be cool to see the server be rebuilt from the ground up.
6 people like this post.
bro

Postby ~Luc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:01 pm

Bump.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019
Engineering Student

Next