Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Other Everything that should be fixed with the forums

Everything that should be fixed with the forums

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, you can post it here.

Everything that should be fixed with the forums

Postby ~Doodle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Hello everyone!

I decided with a new technician that has full website access, we should bring together and discuss everything that should be fixed or implemented to the forums, along with any changes to existing features. It will overall help whoever is working on the forums see what the community is asking for and gives them some directions to broken features. I'll go ahead and start the list here, feel free to discuss anything as well as add to it too!

[+] Smilies
These are the emojis you can add to topics or comments to the side of the text box. They look like this:

I was thinking maybe adding some more such as devil smilies or some other variations which can be found by other users here.

[+] Topic Preview
Small things that could be changed would be the indentation after previewing topics:

I feel it would help read the start of the topic and make it more clear to help the preview function fully benefit users. Preferably, a full topic as if it was posted could be displayed instead as if you had just clicked on the topic link.

[+] Topic shortcuts
The [spoiler=][/ spoiler] tag to be fixed as when you use the forums provided button, the spoiler fails to work. However, if you type it on your own, it seems to work fine. (Added a space as the tags are already inside a spoiler)

The [list=][/list] function to be removed as it can by typed in just as [url][/url] can be made into [url][/url] too.

I'd also like to commend the hover over function of all the different text functions as it greatly helps users see what each function does.

[+] Advanced topic options
More Poll Creation options from here. We need more poll options and this would allow us to create much more efficient and less exploitable polling systems. I hope extra polling features like this can mean more utilisation of the forums when surveying the community on server changes, instead of in-game polls. Anything like this:

[+] URL navigation errors
When you log out or into your account, you are recived with this message:

Issue is, after clicking on "Return to the index page", you at routed to http://www.hellominers.com/home, which doesn't exist.

If we were to change the route link just to http://www.hellominers.com, we wouldn't need to waste 5 seconds of or precious time to delete /home from the url xD. It would just make it function better that's all.

Furthermore, under "Help and Support": "Getting Started?", "FAQ", "Commands" and "Rules" all lead to pages which don't exist.

If we could re-route to the different topics made to cover these things, it would help new users get to grips with the forums.

Server map also doesn't exist however storage isn't solved by changing up the forums so we will need to keep waiting to see what teddie does.

We also have a link to https://hellominers.com/contact which doesn't exist the the store.hellominers.com page:

Maybe people with forum permissions can link their contact information in a new page or in an existing topic, depending on what the sites capacity is.

[+] Top bar navigation
When we go to "View new posts" on the top bar, we are greeted with an empty subforum with no new topics, despite one being created less that 30 minutes before I looked.

If we could sort or modify this feature out, it would be great. We probably still need the subforum if anyone wants to see newly published topics instead of the most recent reply.

Active topics can probably be removed as it is basically the home page.

Unanswered posts are also only coming up with the most recent topics with their replies.

There are also a few broken URL's covered in URL navigation errors!

[+] Dark mode
As suggested here, a dark mode would be nice for the forums and maybe along with a display settings tab too. There are a bunch of different dark styles here too and maybe we should look through and choose one that would suit the forum best, maybe even add a choice of multiple colours and designs.

[+] Store
To start:

Given nobody uses Tebex and just uses direct debit to pay for any in game purchases, I think the prompt should be removed at the top of the page.

If the grammar in the first description paragraph could be fixed, "We offer premium packages, forsals(cosmetic), custom nicknames, player heads and more." by putting a space between forsals and (cosmetic), people's OCD won't have another go.

The whole store needs working and updating but most importantly premium:

This has been discussed many times but the community needs to get together and properly discuss this. Same goes for the Premium addons as seen here:

I'd also like to recommend adding a "bought" tab to product's that can only be sold once instead of displaying "buy" to say as if it hasn't been purchased before.

Forsals also need re-pricing as well as steps of exchange. Instead of 5000, 10000, 20000, 50000, 70000, 100000, 200000 and 400000, we should probably look at 1000, 10000, 50000, 100000, 250000, 500000, 1000000 or more logical amounts that people might actually consider for a top-up.

I think the playerhead tab should be removed as there is now a head shop thanks to the suggestion of an user a couple months back.

The moderators premium tab should probably list everything too for what they can buy, as well as make it more of an incentive for a subscription unlike how normal premium is now. A rework of this at the same time as premium is necessary.

Apart from that, the process for payments works flawlessly and I would like to commend that for still working after all this time. We could maybe add a donations tab too, as small donations may actually be a viable thing people could do along with attach notes of what they hope to see done with it.

[+] Top 10 player list
I think it has been emphasised enough over the years that this:

needs a rework, as said in the following topics:
viewtopic.php?f=299&t=27875
viewtopic.php?f=301&t=27855
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=24307
viewtopic.php?f=172&t=21430
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=14459

Could it maybe be updated with the most active player each week where the top number of hours played by each player is counted and displayed instead? Maybe look for a plugin that can do this too.

[+] Sponsors or ads
I've noticed some ads aren't working anymore such as:

or the banner adds on mobile. Maybe if we added more ads in these places, or those ones which appear at the bottom that you click on the down arrow to go away, should be added to pc access (and less of to mobile as it is ok) to help subsidise operating costs. If we can balance this an premium, hopefully we can show teddie that he should invest in more storage and we would like to help. Long shot but every penny counts I guess.

[+] Bottom banner
The bottom of the forum is in shambles:

The links to Support, Contact and Report Bug are all broken, the 6 images aren't displaying correctly and are years old, the twitter has only a link to a suspended account:

and there are no other advertisements of social medias either! The bottom icons for instagram link the wrong account and the twitter links to the wrong account too! This is a major problem and should be fixed kinda soon, it's the main advertisement for the server and these things are important to look good.

Please feel free to continue the list below,

Thanks!
2 people like this post.
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

"The army might be the safest job apart from getting shot at." - Doodle 2k19

[+] Cool Stuff
https://imgur.com/HBDRhwT
https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Re: Everything that should be fixed with the forums

Postby Lin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:11 am

Spoiler tag doesn't work because it needs to have a name encased by quotations.

[spoiler="Rodney submitting to peer pressure"]Bet. @everyone[/spoiler]

And for most parts of the site, just add .php to the link to fix that on your own lol.
If I cannot move the Gods, I will stir up Hell.
– Virgil, Aeneid, VII. 312

I cull the herd, it's what I do.

[+] Rodney submitting to peer pressure

Code: Select all
>_Owner of Chiyoko

Postby Gerhard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:22 am

Better yet....junk phpBB and go to a better forum software :|
Historic Advisor of HelloClan City
Trident Amateur Radio Club Member
Forget all the reasons why it won’t work and believe the one reason why it will.
Let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down.

Postby ~Doodle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:25 am

Lin wrote:Spoiler tag doesn't work because it needs to have a name encased by quotations.

Bet. @everyone

And for most parts of the site, just add .php to the link to fix that on your own lol.

Even with quotes, the [spoiler="doesn't"]work[/spoiler] and adding .php is effort lol. Hey it works when you put it in quotes though xD....
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

[+] Cool Stuff

Postby Lin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm

If I cannot move the Gods, I will stir up Hell.
– Virgil, Aeneid, VII. 312

I cull the herd, it's what I do.

Code: Select all
>_Owner of Chiyoko

Postby Zyra_bot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:04 am

the map

Postby supermagicalplay » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:12 am

It is crucial that these issues are fixed ASAP, reasons are explained at the bottom.

Dark mode is a feature everybody's looking for, afterall it's partially added on iCentiPay.

As for other parts of the website that's broken, things like adding a .php to the end of a link to visit the site is ridiculous.

Fix:

Add: "Options +MultiViews" to .htaccess located at the root folder of your web server. In this case, it's probably under /home/[user]/hellominers.com/.

As for ads, turn off your AdBlocker.

As for the bottom bar, more commonly referred to as "footer", it's nessesary to reconfigure that completely. As far as I can see, Instagram is blocking the feed. Perhaps it's because of the recent Instagram password reset done by somebody.

Either way, it's necessary to obtain a new token for that.

Same goes for HelloMiners' twitter, as it's currently linked to a suspended account.

I think it's obvious that whoever reset the Instagram password revoked authorization for this site.

As for new posts, it works fine for me.

These issues are all critical. Google ranks sites based on many factors, and having errors on a website ranks your site signficantly lower. That said, Instagram alone causes around 10 errors in console. This, in addition to the broken links (.php problems), causes HelloMiners to rank lower to certain keywords, and search terms. This could also explain partly for why we are not getting as many new players as before. Of course, people aren't really interested in city servers anymore, which is another explanation. Regardless, these issues must be fixed.
~Doodle likes this post.

Postby ~Luc » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:54 am

Hey, thanks for your suggestions! I am still waiting on my access to the website files in order to start making fixes to both the server and the forum. Once The hiccups have been fixed I will be able to start implementing bigger fixes to the forums.
6 people like this post.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019

Postby antiPerson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 pm

best thing to do would be to get rid of this werid skinned phpBB and replace it with zenforo.

Postby ~Doodle » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 pm

antiPerson wrote:best thing to do would be to get rid of this werid skinned phpBB and replace it with zenforo.

Aha! A language I can code! phpbb wouldn't be my first choice of forum software but I don't think entirely rebuilding the website is a a good idea, especially when the server has major problems as it is xD. Still though, one day.

[+] Cool Stuff

Next