Forum

HelloMiners Forum Other Other server is dying and we are doing nothing about it

server is dying and we are doing nothing about it

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, you can post it here.

Re: server is dying and we are doing nothing about it

Postby Lin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:18 pm

captain_2ds wrote:
Lin wrote:
captain_2ds wrote:Being an IT professional myself, if the excuse is that Tedde is so rich and too busy for HM, then the logical thing would be for him to put some money to a professional that can take care of the server stuff. It wouldn't cost much, especially if he is "so rich". There are 11 year olds running minecraft servers, etc. (just saying that a new IT college grad or a highschool computer guru would be happy to do this sort of stuff on the side for a few bucks). This is what successful business people do, delegate tedious time consuming tasks to others so they can focus on the big "Rich To-Do List" items. Someone should mention this to Tedde, because that's the proper long term solution. (and again, doesn't have to cost much)

Hire a "professional" to run a minecraft server... Yeah... I don't think that's a thing. Nor would Tedde want to create another money burner. It's a Minecraft server not a fuckin' enterprise. I myself would be more than capable of running a server or doing similar stuff but why the heck would you want to do it for money, it should be something you do for fun not something you do for cash... All the staff are volunteers in their jobs... And it wouldn't make sense to start paying someone for doing that little bit more than they do.

ok, I'll bite on your argumentative hook =)

The good news is that it seems there's lots of positive activity going on, new cities being announced, things are happening on the server according to the forum posts I see.

You focused solely on my one mention of "to a professional that can take care of the server stuff" and ignored the latter part which quantified my post which was "a new IT college grad or a highschool computer guru would be happy to do this sort of stuff on the side for a few bucks". A "professional" does not have to be a $250/hr IT contractor. Hosting companies (eg: places like RackSpace) provide server support services for a nominal fee. There may even be "professional" MC hosting services one can hire online. I'm a IT professional and if I had time I'd be happy to do server sysadmin / MC backend support and some compensation would be a great incentive.

You asked "but why the heck would you want to do it for money, it should be something you do for fun not something you do for cash". Well first off, you'll get what you paid for. Second, as I explained, if Tedde doesn't have time to do it, and the server is slowly dying, there's not much choice, is there?

I'd be great if someone is promoted to server sysadmin and doesn't want monetary compensation, so that the fate of the server is not all on Tedde, but apparently that's not happening from the info that's being given. Hopefully someone can replace Tedde's role.

Yes, there should be people happy to do this for fun, out of kindness, etc. but having some "pro" support could free up Tedde and solve the server issues.

Re: my comment on online MC hosting providers, I just checked and seems there are tons when doing a quick google search. So please don't think that "a professional" means a fulltime expensive computer tech. There are many many alternatives as I mentioned. :)

https://apexminecrafthosting.com/canada/
https://ggservers.com/
https://mcprohosting.com/
https://shockbyte.com/minecraft-hosting
(and many more)

See this just annoys me.

The server is not dying.

It is exactly like stock. It'll have lows, it'll have highs. Right now everyone just wants to do other stuff, so they aren't going to be interested in HM. But mark my words the server will sort itself out. And frankly, I don't give a damn how many qualificstions you've got. I haven't heard of you before, so I wouldn't trust you.
captain_2ds likes this post.
If I cannot move the Gods, I will stir up Hell.
– Virgil, Aeneid, VII. 312

I cull the herd, it's what I do.

[+] Rodney submitting to peer pressure

Code: Select all
>_Owner of Chiyoko

Postby FMDIAMOND » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:36 am

Lol it is dying, just because your too ignorant to see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening, even I have gone inactive after almost 6 years of always being active.
Co-owner of TORCHED and net worth of 500K
Veteran of HelloClan
Player since November 15th 2013
#IMWITHBETA

Postby ~Satan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:37 am

FMDIAMOND wrote:Lol it is dying, just because your too ignorant to see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening, even I have gone inactive after almost 6 years of always being active.

you're*
b]Proud District Manager and Citizen of Paradise Hills[/b]
Chief Marketing Officer of HMSCM
[b]Creator of https://HMGuide.info

Postby Lin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:52 am

~Satan wrote:
FMDIAMOND wrote:Lol it is dying, just because your too ignorant to see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening, even I have gone inactive after almost 6 years of always being active.

you're*

Please don't correct people, it tends to piss 'em off real fast in most cases. And FM, I'm not ignorant. Tell me, are you going to do the same thing for your entire life, or are you going to go and do other stuff, then come back to it. It's like a game you played as a kid: It'll get boring, you'll quit, then later you'll come back and have more fun than you did before. HM isn't dying.

>_Owner of Chiyoko

Postby captain_2ds » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Lin wrote:
~Satan wrote:

you're*

Please don't correct people, it tends to piss 'em off real fast in most cases. And FM, I'm not ignorant. Tell me, are you going to do the same thing for your entire life, or are you going to go and do other stuff, then come back to it. It's like a game you played as a kid: It'll get boring, you'll quit, then later you'll come back and have more fun than you did before. HM isn't dying.

Hi Lin,

I think there are two main parts to HM (3 if you include the forums!), 1) the in-game play, which I agree with you isn't really dying. Like I mentioned there's lots of active posts about people doing cool stuff on the server. 2) the back end server stuff, things like OS updates, storage space, bandwidth, MC install and config, user accounts, etc etc. That's the part we are currently talking about. We don't need Tedde to bring more people in to play HM, apparently we need Tedde to fix the server issues before it, for example, runs out of disk space, possibly corrupting everything, and no one around to fix it, and hoping that maybe after months of downtime Tedde fixes it. That's kinda the direction it's heading if the following two conditions hold true 1. Tedde doesn't have time; 2. No one else can do the sysadmin duties such as fixing disk issues etc.

Take the Server Map as just one example. That was an awesome feature which I used very often when playing HM. It's been down for probably close to a year now. There's also upgrading to MC 13 that they wanted to do but can't. There are many things like that and over time more issues crop up.

So the point (in this current discussion) is not whether the server is dying, it's whether someone can actually do the server maint. stuff in a reasonable time. Hopefully that will get sorted since apparently Tedde has spent some time with the admins lately.

Postby Lin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 pm

captain_2ds wrote:Hi Lin,

I think there are two main parts to HM (3 if you include the forums!), 1) the in-game play, which I agree with you isn't really dying. Like I mentioned there's lots of active posts about people doing cool stuff on the server. 2) the back end server stuff, things like OS updates, storage space, bandwidth, MC install and config, user accounts, etc etc. That's the part we are currently talking about. We don't need Tedde to bring more people in to play HM, apparently we need Tedde to fix the server issues before it, for example, runs out of disk space, possibly corrupting everything, and no one around to fix it, and hoping that maybe after months of downtime Tedde fixes it. That's kinda the direction it's heading if the following two conditions hold true 1. Tedde doesn't have time; 2. No one else can do the sysadmin duties such as fixing disk issues etc.

Take the Server Map as just one example. That was an awesome feature which I used very often when playing HM. It's been down for probably close to a year now. There's also upgrading to MC 13 that they wanted to do but can't. There are many things like that and over time more issues crop up.

So the point (in this current discussion) is not whether the server is dying, it's whether someone can actually do the server maint. stuff in a reasonable time. Hopefully that will get sorted since apparently Tedde has spent some time with the admins lately.

Personally I believe the server should stay on 1.12.2 as I don't like what Microsoft are doing to the game. My opinion is that they are ruining it. Vehicles are a waste of server resources as elytras get the job done just as good, so that's an issue. Yeah the server map was great but just like cars, it wasn't really worth it. I could create a rough sketch of the server maps main places just off the top of my head right now. I dunno what bandwidth is exactly but I'm assuming it has something to do with information and streaming that information or smth so...

As for the server potentially becoming corrupted, I could just attempt to call him directly if that happens lol. And I agree we need to get the server upgraded (the physical server not "HM Main") to capacitise our available resources but I just don't see it happening any time soon. Until Tedde hires some more worker bees to do his stuff (unless he likes the rush and the pace of being Everipedia's CEO) we just gotta wait.

>_Owner of Chiyoko

Postby Stlrsfan4 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:02 pm

lol hi
Stlrsfan4
CEO and Co-Founder of Citadel Infrastructure Co.
"The sky's not the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

Previous