Forum

HelloMiners Forum Announcements Server Chunk Corruption

Server Chunk Corruption

Announcements concerning HelloMiners.

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby ViHQ » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:36 am

There is a lot of infrastructure necessary to make HelloMiners.. well HelloMiners. Resetting all of this will be such a different transition for the server. One I never thought would be feasible, discussed or even had a decent amount okay with it. I'm still stuck in the middle.
It would require a huge undertaking of organization between staff and players on how we go forward from day zero - because it would be hectic as hell. I find the prospect of it very interesting because I feel like some competitiveness will be brought back full force with a reset. But it would require a lot of organizing.

Postby sgtsurfinbyrd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:40 am

There is a quote from the reset topic that I like....
Travco wrote:That is what we plan to do with this reset, not pout in a corner over lost castles and empires, but to seize the day!

I for one lost my city back then that I had poured hours upon hours into. Others lost businesses, and mansions. Everyone lost everything back then, and that sucked. However, while there were less of us, not a single one us quit back then because of it.

I am sure some will quit. But I also know others will come back if we reset. A reset is a fresh start. And we have done it before successfully, so it most definitely can be successfully done again.

Postby Izela » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 am

ViHQ wrote:There is a lot of infrastructure necessary to make HelloMiners.. well HelloMiners. Resetting all of this will be such a different transition for the server. One I never thought would be feasible, discussed or even had a decent amount okay with it. I'm still stuck in the middle.
It would require a huge undertaking of organization between staff and players on how we go forward from day zero - because it would be hectic as hell. I find the prospect of it very interesting because I feel like some competitiveness will be brought back full force with a reset. But it would require a lot of organizing.

I totally agree it will take a lot to do, but I think if the community is willing to gather together and get it done, then we can do it. We can make HelloMiners even greater than it already is!
Newbie but wanting to help make Hellominers even better

Izela#1114

Postby Dogfighter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:02 am

Wow, 8 years on here and never would have thought. Reset is in everyones best interest. Post a world download of the old map for people who are sentimental or nostalgic(such as yours truly).
My favorite quotes are the ones with "".

Postby ayalaandtal » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 am

i support a reset, but i think there aru some major problems with taking this sort of action.
first of all, with no one having money, there will be no jobs.
and with everything reset, there will be no shops, no place to buy materials and equipment from, making a simple house will require you to go play survival for at least an hour, just for the materials.
all these problem will make it feel more like factions, rather then economy.
new players that join, hoping to find a huge server, full of cites, shops and business, will find an empty world, with almost nothing economic to do.

these problems most be thought abut before resting everything.
server: active
forum: active

Postby sgtsurfinbyrd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:39 am

ayalaandtal wrote:i support a reset, but i think there aru some major problems with taking this sort of action.
first of all, with no one having money, there will be no jobs.

There can be a lot of jobs available, particularly in the government sector. Nothing will be built, so the government could have jobs like buildings highways/roads (materials supplied), or building government buildings etc.

ayalaandtal wrote:there will be no shops, no place to buy materials and equipment from, making a simple house will require you to go play survival for at least an hour, just for the materials.

That is correct. Gathering materials from the wilderness is part of minecraft however. So I dont see a problem with that. You can also work together with friends to gather materials at the start. Eventually there will be shops set up and places to buy things from if players want to. Last time there was a GTC at the start, (if I recall correctly) which you could buy resources from.

ayalaandtal wrote:all these problem will make it feel more like factions, rather then economy.

Without war or pvp, the server will not feel like factions. It would feel like a vanilla minecraft server for the first little while, but an economy would soon establish itself.

ayalaandtal wrote:new players that join, hoping to find a huge server, full of cites, shops and business, will find an empty world, with almost nothing economic to do.
We should have some sort of notification (perhaps in the server description) so new players know what they are getting into. Some players might be enticed by the empty server, and the opportunities it provides to everyone.

Postby ~Doodle » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:22 am

I've just read through all 6 pages of the topic. Let me summarize it all for you.

This is the worst case scenario. There are ways to stop chunk erroring. Resetting is a valid solution but the worst case scenario.

There are a lot of good reasons to reset the server and a lot against, but because we suddenly find this issue difficult now, doesn't mean that the minority (from the last reset poll) should have the say - in being against the communities interest.

Don't panic, chunk erroring has been a problem for years and years yet here we are, without a reset map. There are solutions and they will be found instead of taking the easy route out.
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

"The army might be the safest job apart from getting shot at." - Doodle 2k19

[+] Cool Stuff
https://imgur.com/HBDRhwT
https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Postby Silicon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am

Is there a way to copy the world into a new world or if we do reset reserve big cities like helloclan? This was the post I was scared to see.
Tried and failed to create an apartment building in trongo, got my friend into the business and he did it much better than I did. My long time friend _Grace____ lost contact. Completely anti-swearing.

Those bug deterrent things that you plug in the wall make a high-frequency loud as heck noise that only I can hear, those things are my arch-nemesis.

Hayden.R.Lawrence in Louisiana is the worst school ever.

Postby Silicon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am

We should start making regular backups and consider upgrading to 1.16 if possible. I also think this could be a hardware-related problem if we are still on the original server. I know it is scary upgrading to 1.16 after the performance crippled when we went to 1.15 as magnus pointed out in his resignation post.
Tried and failed to create an apartment building in trongo, got my friend into the business and he did it much better than I did. My long time friend _Grace____ lost contact. Completely anti-swearing.

Those bug deterrent things that you plug in the wall make a high-frequency loud as heck noise that only I can hear, those things are my arch-nemesis.

Hayden.R.Lawrence in Louisiana is the worst school ever.

Postby BobBanana » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:05 am

Silicon wrote:We should start making regular backups and consider upgrading to 1.16 if possible. I also think this could be a hardware-related problem if we are still on the original server. I know it is scary upgrading to 1.16 after the performance crippled when we went to 1.15 as magnus pointed out in his resignation post.

I think the reason for not upgrading to 1.16 wasnt performance at all, but the fact that the plugins we use havent all been updated to work with 1.16

PreviousNext