Forum

HelloMiners Forum Announcements Server Chunk Corruption

Server Chunk Corruption

Announcements concerning HelloMiners.

Server Chunk Corruption

Postby ~Luc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 pm

Hello everybody,

I really wish I did not have to make this topic, especially so soon after re-opening. It really is frustrating that this is happening, however it is not something we really have control of. The server crashed today due to one or more corrupt chunks. The server will not be back up until we can fix this.

Unfortunately however, we must face the reality of what could happen. I know it is not good to assume the worst, however there are some serious worries that should be addressed. As some know, the original worldmap was reset due to it becoming corrupted, the same goes for the plot-style build server we had for many years. It is an inevitability as far as we understand that chunk corruption may occur, and is even warned about when loading up an old filesave in singleplayer Minecraft on new updates. This is where we have to discuss what to do next. I know many people really dislike the idea of a world reset, there is so much history, so much work done and so much work left to do by the current community. The issue however is this - every time there is a corrupted chunk that someone enters, the server will crash. This could cause other chunks to corrupt, leading to downtime every time there is a corrupted chunk. We would need to either rollback (if possible, however we wouldn't know how far back we would have to go in backups to avoid one with a corrupted chunk) or attempt to regenerate the chunk that was corrupted. This would mean chunks within a city, a private region, anywhere within the older sections of the map are at risk, and regenerating these chunks would lead to potentially massive changes in the region, as well as lost progress. This would happen every time a corrupted chunk is entered, and there is no way for us to know of the corrupted chunk until the server crashes as a result of one. I hate downtime, and I am sure everyone else does too. I still have to discuss with cheer more about this, but so far it seems the best course of action to prevent this from happening would be to generate a new world. If not now, it will happen eventually, just as it happened before with this server and with the build server.

Please discuss here, we want to know what the community thinks about this. We are still trying to determine the logistics, as well as if there is a potential for us to transfer certain things over to a new map, but right now we are not certain. Again, please discuss, we want to know what the community thinks, as we know this is a very serious issue that affects all of us equally. We want to make sure everyone (or as many people as possible) is happy with the result of the decision.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019
Engineering Student

Re: Server Chunk Corruption

Postby KingELB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 pm

Hypothetically, could WorldEdit schematics be used to paste sections of the map into a new world with the same seed? If it becomes necessary to create a new map, I would like to save as much as we can of the existing map + playerdata at least.
Owner of ECorp, the company no-one's heard of.

Postby ~Doodle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Map reset has already been heavily contested and debated by the community. You're going to get the exact same thing happening again just with more justification for map reset.

Chunk corruption is an issue but we can't reset 11 years of progress because there are one or two chunks that get corrupted and crash the server. The best course of action is to see a method of detection and removal of these corrupted chunks in order to keep the server up. We have gotten this far already and we are not going to get beaten because the server crashes a few times.
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

"The army might be the safest job apart from getting shot at." - Doodle 2k19

[+] Cool Stuff
https://imgur.com/HBDRhwT
https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Postby ~Baz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaah

Postby Spellbind4201 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 pm

I have very mixed opinions about a reset and I even went and made a list of pros and cons totaling to 56 but I think we should rollback.
Net Worth: 1,000,000+
Proud owner of <Spellbound Inc.>

Postby DR_StevenStrange » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm

KingELB wrote:Hypothetically, could WorldEdit schematics be used to paste sections of the map into a new world with the same seed? If it becomes necessary to create a new map, I would like to save as much as we can of the existing map + playerdata at least.

The problem with that is it could cause the same issue, as MC world generation has changed a lot since 1.2, which was when the original map was created.
Mob maker since October 2017

Postby ~Adu » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm

Very suspicious for this to happen right after the server reset poll got shut down...
Definitely an inside job, the hellonati is back everybody.
ImageLike · Succeededkiller likes this post.

~Adu
-=-=-=-=-
Owner of Dubai
Owner of Veyron Group
Manager of North Helloclan
Networth: F1,500,000+
Player since 2015
Discord: Adu0123#7982

Connect with me:

Postby ~Luc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm

KingELB wrote:Hypothetically, could WorldEdit schematics be used to paste sections of the map into a new world with the same seed? If it becomes necessary to create a new map, I would like to save as much as we can of the existing map + playerdata at least.

The seed wouldn't matter, with the new generation that Minecraft uses the world will be different.
[Technician]~Luc
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019
Engineering Student

Postby ~Kyle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 pm

Firstly just want to say thanks to you and all staff for taking so much time to take care of these issues.

The biggest issue with a new map is deciding how we can start anew without the existing infrastructure (several major cities, tutorial, govt buildings etc). Imo the best way we could move forward with a map reset would be to move existing cities or at least as much useful infrastructure into a new map as possible, rather than attempt to start entirely from scratch. If possible, that option would be the best in the interest of saving time. Otherwise it would take a very long time to attempt to recreate the type of infrastructure we had.

A new map would provide a lot of incredible opportunities for building new cities, govt and private, and new opportunities to reset our economy and level the playing field to break up the monopolised industries. I think that compensating city owners who lose their cities in the reset and people with large property investments that are removed would be a good idea. I know we did this many years ago when the same issue occurred.

Best case scenario obviously is that we do not lose anything and can open back up soon!

Postby KingELB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:35 pm

~Luc wrote:

The seed wouldn't matter, with the new generation that Minecraft uses the world will be different.

True, would it be possible to manually copy region files known to be stable rather than removing ones that aren't?
Owner of ECorp, the company no-one's heard of.

Next