Forum

HelloMiners Forum Reporting Report Bugs / Problems Held together with duck tape


Held together with duck tape

Found a bug? Can you recreate it? If so, tell us here so we can fix it.

Held together with duck tape

Postby ~Baz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:29 am

Howde
I have noticed (i have you all have too) that the server community and forums have been down in the dumps lately. Our server is outdated, not only by minecraft version, but also with the way that the server is ran. Our server looks like a cardboard house being only held together with duck tape. Our quality has been portraying this as well. Our forums go down every day, our server is still ran like we are in minecraft beta. We are implementing custom plugins, which is great to old players, but new players that join look at our server like a free 1 hour trial of a minecraft server website.
The Admins
The administrative staff have used the excuse “it can only be fixed by sk or tedde” although this is a problem, why can’t it be fixed? If sk is the technician that comes on once in a blue moon, why is he still the technician? There are multiple players on the server that can write html. And plus is it that hard to change the roles of staff? It takes our current technician far too long to fix major and minor problem that there is no point in having a technician.
The Staff
The moderator team have one job, to do helpme’s. The pay of staff doesn't matter on what events they host or how many bans they make. No, a modoratiors pay is based on only how many regions they’ve made, or how many chests they’ve unlocked. This is obvious when looking at the playing times of moderators from player to trial to mod. They play their normal 2 hours a day, they get promoted to trial, sped 3 hours a day now because they have a purpose, than they notice how boring it is to do /a3 next and get paid 20f for every command, so their play time dwindals to 1 hour every 2 days. Moderators get bombarded with helpme requests every time they log in, and get angry messages every time they spend their free time not doing helpmes. I get aggravated too. Not because they won’t do the helpmes, but because there is no other way to unlock my one chest in my one apartment that i need to clean out. These players give up their free time to help players region their 50 plots, instead of modorating, or hosting events, or helping new players.
New Players
The player-helper role was created to help new players on the server. I find this to be ineffective. New players come on a server like this and want to build an empire! That’s what our promise is, to become a millionaire. If our tutorial is so bland that it doesn't tell players who join this server how to get a job, or how to start a company that we need players with more than 1 month of experience to tell them what to do, what is the point of having it. Shouldn’t we have a plugin for job providers, apartment building owners, and company owners to advertise our services? If a new player wants a job or an apartment, they ask in chat. If nobody responds in chat, do you know where that new player goes? They leave, forever. We have gotten ~45,000 new players in the last 2 years. Only ~100 have stayed. Does that not flash any lights to you? We can’t keep new players if we depended on it. And for the past 2 years, admins have blamed us for “not having enough jobs,” or “not advertising apartments enough.” Although there are players becoming active through having a player helper on hand, it will never be as efficient as having the server helping by providing a voice for our companies.
Player-Helpers
I believe the role “player helper” is all for nothing. There is no point in player helpers being a role for helping fill the gaps of the tutorial. I believe player helpers should be given a new task, helpmes. Helpmes have been the role of a moderator, but as stated, the moderators should not focus on helpmes. Player-Helpers should be the staff member to report and use their time to do helpme’s. Players can still apply for this position, and quit after getting sick of the job. Player helpers won't have to worry about moderating chat, or hosting events. All they have to do is /a3 next. This fills the gaps of moderators.
Forums
As of writing this topic, I am writing this on google docs. What to guess why? Oh that’s right, the forums are down for the second time today! The forums are currently the face of our server. If I look up “city roleplay server” on google, hellominers.com shows up. But for 1 hour out of 24, the website is down. And even when the website is up, hellominers.com/forums is down /rules is down the map is down. I get this isn’t easy work to fix, but what is being done to fix it? “Sk or tedde are the only ones that can fix it.” But why? Why can’t admins have access to the code? If admins have access to the code, they could hand it over to someone with experience and have it done with. I know this isn’t an easy thing to do, hand over the code, but this needs to be done. If the current technician has 0 time for our server, and is the only one that can do anything about our problems, why is he still our technician? Is he that hard to let go of? Is the the founding father of the server? Or does he take up time just trying to contact to have the server fixed?
The Server
The current look of the server looks like the first server ever made. Our tab menu looks so generic. There is no color scheme with the server commands and announcements. There is still the basic chat out line : <Name> : there are no custom roles, no amazing perks with premium like invincibility, and there is only one tier of premium. For christ sake no server looks as bad as hellominers.
We can’t get get simple things fixed on the server, so let's change that. I am sick and tired of logging onto the same server to see only that nothing has changed. I look at other servers with 100 players that looks better and is managed better than our outhouse of a server.
Please fix it, do whatever but fix it.
Thanks for reading :mrgreen:
10 people like this post.
Image

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby CudleyNubles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:42 am

Personally I like the vanilla look in chat and don't like the colourful stuff
8 people like this post.
Image
Image

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby shoob™ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:44 am

I'm not gonna comment on every single point, but on about what you said about the server:

"Our tab menu looks so generic."
Most servers have player menus that look like that. Making it super flashy is pointless and confusing.

"There is still the basic chat out line : <Name>"
Same reason as above.

"no amazing perks with premium like invincibility"
that sounds like a terrible idea


Though I do agree that the issues with the forum, with the constant downtime and pages like the map and rules being broken, is a huge problem.
4 people like this post.

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby Cheerios32 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:45 am

Here's the thing:

Admins need access to build and website FTP.

A second technician would help as well.

Guess who's the only person who can do that?

Yes now that's the problem.

Hopefully it'll be sorted eventually but it would require a lot of work to set up, which may take months.
10 people like this post.
Net worth:Somehow about 100k

Staff since 10th February 2018.

[+] How to treat your elders
[me -> Console] nub
[Console -> me] shut up
[Console -> me] :(
------------------------------
[HelpOp] Mod ZacTheMan1 [TNT]: what yall doing
[HelpOp] Senior-Mod ~FrostedWheetos: bullying spart
[HelpOp] Mod ZacTheMan1 [TNT]: im in


To those who said I could never be rich:
Image

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby ~Arctic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:19 am

This makes amazing pointa. We need to implement this! We need to tell SK and Tedde that they aren't helping the server anymore. We need to let Admins have access to the website and other coding stuff. These reforms must happen.

I am quite frankly sick of how this server is governed. We all have to "wait for sk and tedde" well someone needs to message them and say they're not doing their job anymore and are just letting the server die.
ViHQ likes this post.
<Mypuppyrue> reyt nice they ar
<~Arctic> aye
<Mypuppyrue> i dint ask ow u was
<~Arctic> them reilways ar reyt nice ar they
<Mypuppyrue> they are
<~Arctic> yeh get whattamean?
<Mypuppyrue> i get whatyamean
<~Arctic> ah gud
<Mypuppyrue> do tha lot get what us mean
<Trial-Mod ~Ash> my brain hurts

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby 丂の爪千ノ匚 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 am

I agree
team dany

Image

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby _DJDoodle_ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 am

~Arctic wrote:This makes amazing pointa. We need to implement this! We need to tell SK and Tedde that they aren't helping the server anymore. We need to let Admins have access to the website and other coding stuff. These reforms must happen.

I am quite frankly sick of how this server is governed. We all have to "wait for sk and tedde" well someone needs to message them and say they're not doing their job anymore and are just letting the server die.


Teddie isn't doing anything because he is no longer running the server. It's just him paying the bills, and for that people must be grateful. You need to check out his Instagram as he is always busy with everpedia, doing radio shows, TV shows, managing the office, ect. He is a really busy guy and you can't hold him accountable for all this given he does still respond to messages related to the server, which shows he still does care.
He knows about the /forum URL extension problem, he knows about the admin & technician issue, ect. but he is trying his best to find the time to sort it out for you.
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Image

Image

Founder of Cape Coral!

Battle Palace Manager/Developer

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby ~Luc » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:57 am

I think you are a bit confused on how things work, so maybe you should stop and consider this in regards to your admins section. It is not that their excuse is only tedde or sk can fix it, it is reality. Admins to not have the same level of access to the server or the forums as SK, as he has limited their access even more than it used to be years ago. What use is complaining to them about that? You are upset at them for not being able to fix things faster because they literally can’t do anything about it, and they also cannot remove SK because in reality he has the most control. Whenever there was an issue, I would contact tedde and he would tell SK to come fix his shit, but he would still take his sweet ass time, and only do as little as restarting the server or updating console. It may have changed but most of current staff have no forums permissions, and there are non-staffmembers who still have access.

Secondly, being a moderator, I can assure you that you have it wrong there too. There is no inverse correlation between becoming staff and the time you play on the server. The only thing that stops mods from coming on is their real-life commitments. Obviously you wouldn’t notice it as much if they weren’t mods, but its more noticeable because they are. Staff also for the most part aren’t complaining about having to do helpmes. Believe it or not, sometimes when you are in the middle of doing something you don’t fully pay attention to the chat, which can cause you to miss new helpmes; it has happened to me on a number of occasions. In addition, just because they’re only paid for helpmes, doesn’t mean its their only job. Moderating a server is making sure people aren’t breaking rules, and as well it is hosting events for players. If a moderator is in the middle of doing either of these, sorry but you’re gonna have to wait an extra little bit for that chest to be unlocked, or on occasion those 50+ plot regions to be made etc. I’m sure you can find something to keep yourself occupied while the moderator(s) finish their other staffly duties. I’d also like you to consider that unlike most jobs, while you are on the server you are never off the clock. Your job never ends, you don’t get any “off days”, so you are doing all of these other mod duties while trying to work on personal projects. Sometimes a mod might want to finish demoing the building they have been working on for over an hour due to having to do 5 helpmes and settle a player dispute in chat, so try to be a little more understanding if you need to wait 5-10 minutes for your helpme to be attended to, because they don’t have the luxury of finishing personal projects without multiple interruptions like you do. I enjoyed being a mod, and like all mods I was fine with the fact that my projects would take a little longer to finish because I had more important duties to the server, but show a little more respect for the fact that they are putting in that work. The playerbase is far too unappreciative of the work that goes in, mostly out of ignorance / not being aware of the actual situation. I’m sure there will be people who will want to reply saying “they signed up for the job so shouldn’t complain” or “there are other people who would be more than happy to take their place and not complain about the workload”, but nobodys complaining as much as the non-staff players who aren’t giving staff more credit where credit is due. I also guarantee you that the people who think they could do better will be in the same boat 2 months into their trial, when reality hits them.
8 people like this post.
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019

Image

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby Domination LT » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 pm

~Luc wrote:I think you are a bit confused on how things work, so maybe you should stop and consider this in regards to your admins section. It is not that their excuse is only tedde or sk can fix it, it is reality. Admins to not have the same level of access to the server or the forums as SK, as he has limited their access even more than it used to be years ago. What use is complaining to them about that? You are upset at them for not being able to fix things faster because they literally can’t do anything about it, and they also cannot remove SK because in reality he has the most control. Whenever there was an issue, I would contact tedde and he would tell SK to come fix his shit, but he would still take his sweet ass time, and only do as little as restarting the server or updating console. It may have changed but most of current staff have no forums permissions, and there are non-staffmembers who still have access.

Secondly, being a moderator, I can assure you that you have it wrong there too. There is no inverse correlation between becoming staff and the time you play on the server. The only thing that stops mods from coming on is their real-life commitments. Obviously you wouldn’t notice it as much if they weren’t mods, but its more noticeable because they are. Staff also for the most part aren’t complaining about having to do helpmes. Believe it or not, sometimes when you are in the middle of doing something you don’t fully pay attention to the chat, which can cause you to miss new helpmes; it has happened to me on a number of occasions. In addition, just because they’re only paid for helpmes, doesn’t mean its their only job. Moderating a server is making sure people aren’t breaking rules, and as well it is hosting events for players. If a moderator is in the middle of doing either of these, sorry but you’re gonna have to wait an extra little bit for that chest to be unlocked, or on occasion those 50+ plot regions to be made etc. I’m sure you can find something to keep yourself occupied while the moderator(s) finish their other staffly duties. I’d also like you to consider that unlike most jobs, while you are on the server you are never off the clock. Your job never ends, you don’t get any “off days”, so you are doing all of these other mod duties while trying to work on personal projects. Sometimes a mod might want to finish demoing the building they have been working on for over an hour due to having to do 5 helpmes and settle a player dispute in chat, so try to be a little more understanding if you need to wait 5-10 minutes for your helpme to be attended to, because they don’t have the luxury of finishing personal projects without multiple interruptions like you do. I enjoyed being a mod, and like all mods I was fine with the fact that my projects would take a little longer to finish because I had more important duties to the server, but show a little more respect for the fact that they are putting in that work. The playerbase is far too unappreciative of the work that goes in, mostly out of ignorance / not being aware of the actual situation. I’m sure there will be people who will want to reply saying “they signed up for the job so shouldn’t complain” or “there are other people who would be more than happy to take their place and not complain about the workload”, but nobodys complaining as much as the non-staff players who aren’t giving staff more credit where credit is due. I also guarantee you that the people who think they could do better will be in the same boat 2 months into their trial, when reality hits them.


This is all true... except for the time i asked like 8 mods to help me with my city and they either did a quick easy job that made it worse or they just cancelled my helpme before even trying or starting the task, until Ash sat down and helped my undo the mess the other mods made, trust me i ge tthat people have other projects to do but if a few mods took a little bit of time and worked together it would have been an easy task, otherwise everything you said is completely true
~Luc likes this post.
DominationLT and Domination LT on Youtube
Founder and CEO of Vilnius International
Owner of the City of Trakai
City Tier Evaluator
On the Executive Council for The Kingdom of Haven
Founder and Commissioner of the BBE

Contact me at: dominationlt@gmail.com

"If you want to make a difference.... don't spam the chat :/ "
~DominationLT 2018

Re: Held together with duck tape

Postby ~Luc » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm

Domination LT wrote:This is all true... except for the time i asked like 8 mods to help me with my city and they either did a quick easy job that made it worse or they just cancelled my helpme before even trying or starting the task, until Ash sat down and helped my undo the mess the other mods made, trust me i ge tthat people have other projects to do but if a few mods took a little bit of time and worked together it would have been an easy task, otherwise everything you said is completely true


I’m sorry you had that experience. I’m sure that the changes the other mods made was with good intentions however, and I am glad that ash took the time to go through the entire city like what I did with archendale. I still think that there should be a way for city owners to make special requests to have regioning fixed, and maybe have that specific helpme pay a little bit more as incentive to take on such a large job. An example of this is that my fixing archendale took me a total of around 4 hours, so I can understand why it wouldn’t be favourable to to such a thing in the eyes of most staff, but if there was a procedure in place to have bigger jobs like this requested, I would support it 100%.
3 people like this post.
Retired [Trial-Mod] — 2016, 2018-2019

Image

Next