Forum

HelloMiners Forum General Server Discussion Discussion - Updating tutorial

Discussion - Updating tutorial

General discussion concerning HelloMiners.

Discussion - Updating tutorial

Postby fluffythebunnyx » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:54 pm

Leeds city approved since Sunday 3:25 PM BST 15 / 7 / 18
Owner of Leeds City!

One man's garbage is another man person's good ungarbage

Re: Discussion - Updating tutorial

Postby _DJDoodle_ » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:09 am

Needs to be done however the command block coding structure changes in 1.13 so it'll be an after the update thing.
fluffythebunnyx likes this post.
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Founder of Cape Coral!

Battle Palace Manager/Developer

#I'mWithBeta
#BringBackFunboi28

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Postby Blocks_Away » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:14 am

I think that your suggestions are good fluff. I suggest to make the tutorial interactive, outside the building sometimes. I think that is a better way for the player to see how HM is working. It could be in the old building, but i think you need to experience more than just signs and examples.
fluffythebunnyx likes this post.
Cheese is very noice
Ty jUzter for your 200k!

Cheese

Postby fluffythebunnyx » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 am

Blocks_Away wrote:I think that your suggestions are good fluff. I suggest to make the tutorial interactive, outside the building sometimes. I think that is a better way for the player to see how HM is working. It could be in the old building, but i think you need to experience more than just signs and examples.

Exactly. We also need a better system of player helpers, the old system was flawed and in all fairness did little to help the actual new players. We need a way to show off the server to new players without making it seem too complex or negative yet also not looking generic. People often show new players the server through rose-tinted glasses, especially things like the tutorial, which leads to new players spamming chat in hopes of a job but there simply isn't any. It makes me a bit sad to see, but after talking to a few new players who have stuck around, the main thing they need is something to occupy time. Which is true for any player.
Blocks_Away likes this post.
Owner of Leeds City!

Postby fluffythebunnyx » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:40 pm

bump :mrgreen:
Owner of Leeds City!

Postby ViHQ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 am

fluffythebunnyx wrote:
Blocks_Away wrote:I think that your suggestions are good fluff. I suggest to make the tutorial interactive, outside the building sometimes. I think that is a better way for the player to see how HM is working. It could be in the old building, but i think you need to experience more than just signs and examples.

Exactly. We also need a better system of player helpers, the old system was flawed and in all fairness did little to help the actual new players. We need a way to show off the server to new players without making it seem too complex or negative yet also not looking generic. People often show new players the server through rose-tinted glasses, especially things like the tutorial, which leads to new players spamming chat in hopes of a job but there simply isn't any. It makes me a bit sad to see, but after talking to a few new players who have stuck around, the main thing they need is something to occupy time. Which is true for any player.

Excuse me, my company has a sprawling campus with farms and resources perfect for new players, we even offer storage rental and free lodging for loyal employees. If we had a better warp jobs or something, that would be perfect for them to find us.
"You know half the fun of owning a company? Getting people to do it for you." -ViHQ 11:06 9/27/15
CEO: Nature Incorporated - restoring the wilderness of HelloMiners.
Founder of Vanguard Industries (2015)

Postby fluffythebunnyx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:39 am

ViHQ wrote:
fluffythebunnyx wrote:

Excuse me, my company has a sprawling campus with farms and resources perfect for new players, we even offer storage rental and free lodging for loyal employees. If we had a better warp jobs or something, that would be perfect for them to find us.

I know there is the facilities out there, and I agree warp jobs is flawed... Especially now there hasnt been updates on the new one. You should advertise it in chat more, and maybe promote it more in your stores. It is all well and good having the perfect facilities, but they are useless when new players don't know they exist.
Owner of Leeds City!

Postby fluffythebunnyx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am

bump!
Owner of Leeds City!

Postby DR_StevenStrange » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am

I have been saying months now that the tutorial needs a huge update. The only problem is how to exactly go about doing it and what additional information is required to be added. I was thinking perhaps having it where when the new player joins their starting balance is zero and after each segment of the tutorial they are given some money so when they finish the tutorial it all adds up to the starting 1500. I was also thinking at the end of the day instead of you being warped to hello City, instead you are warped to a Lobby that from there you can go to Hello City, warp help hub, or warpjobs.
2 people like this post.
Mob maker since October 2017

Postby fluffythebunnyx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:41 am

DR_StevenStrange wrote:I have been saying months now that the tutorial needs a huge update. The only problem is how to exactly go about doing it and what additional information is required to be added. I was thinking perhaps having it where when the new player joins their starting balance is zero and after each segment of the tutorial they are given some money so when they finish the tutorial it all adds up to the starting 1500. I was also thinking at the end of the day instead of you being warped to hello City, instead you are warped to a Lobby that from there you can go to Hello City, warp help hub, or warpjobs.

Exactly! I even suggested some updates a few months ago, I think the bit for each segment could be abused by players going back through though. Maybe there could be a small quiz at the end of the tutorial. I appreciate it's a large task to undergo, and getting it right could take some experimentation, but it is definitely a vital task we need to do.

EDIT- Link to old suggestion https://www.hellominers.com/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=29638
Owner of Leeds City!

Next