Forum

HelloMiners Forum Announcements [HelloMiner's Updates #002] - A Different Perspective

[HelloMiner's Updates #002] - A Different Perspective

Announcements concerning HelloMiners.

Postby MissileGamer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Introduction
Welcome Everyone to the second incremental HelloMiner's Updates!
These updates are government topics that aim to keep the users up to date with the recent changes on our server and look to increase transparency between staff and players by revealing some of the topics we are currently discussing within staff. I'll also be using this column to address some topics in the community when necessary. These update topics will be coming out when enough changes have been made for the next consecutive topic and when the staff feel it appropriate (initially this was planned for a fortnightly release). Given this, we'll be aiming for a monthly release as we feel that strikes a good balance between time and topics of relevance. However, this may vary depending on the amount of topics ready to be covered.
But, enough chit-chat. Lets get down to it.

City Department Team is in full swing!
Recently announced here(and mentioned in the previous topic):https://www.hellominers.com/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=29237
The City Department Team is now in full effect. This allows for player's to partake in the approval of cities, along with eviction requests. Instead of doing a helpme to get something city related posted for approval, you may now submit your own approval request and send it to a member of the department. The department will give you their initial evaluation of your request within 3 days, they'll also list the things that your city might be lacking in order for it to get fully approved and will give you a chance to fix that up too! Full details on the topic linked above.

River City is planning an expansion for estates and housing!
The government city, River City, is planning an all new expansion for its estates! You may soon be able to own some of the most exclusive estates on the server. This expansion is still in its planning stages and you can help decide where it'll go! Go vote here: viewtopic.php?f=168&t=29353

Warp City Changes
You've probably noticed recent changes to warp city and to the spawn area in general. We've redesigned the whole area, having the warp station in a more compact and fitting location off to the side. This allows us to bring back a fountain and mini park right in front of the warp - just like in the old days of HM! We did have to remove the broken trade machine, but I don't think anyone minds! (Saved a copy of it for nostalgic reasons). Players also receive a welcome message upon warping to the city, displayed on the middle of their screen. The Bank has also been redesigned and moved closer to the trade center to allow for more warp plots in the area.

Tutorial Changes
The tutorial has had a few changes of its own too!
The tutorial spawn has been changed up, new players now MUST complete the tutorial before starting the game as normal and leaving the area. Players who have already finished the tutorial (and have set a bedspawn) may bypass the tutorial by using the teleport sign labeled as "BYPASS" to the right side of the tutorial spawn. This change should make it so that each and every player that joins at least goes through the tutorial and forms some form of understanding of how the server works.(People can no longer target new players instantly when they join and say "warp c so i can show you my apartments right away before you even know how the server works").

Map Arts receive official support with protection!
Map arts took the server by storm when they first got made on our server. Since then, many players have made lots more map arts and players have used them in all kinds of ways! From displaying a nice custom painting, a company logo and to even using them as street signs! Map arts have become something our community loves, but map art makers were had a growing concern of protecting their arts as it is a very finical and time-draining process to make map arts - so it'd be horrible for someone just to come along and steal all your hard work by making their own copy via an empty map. Thanks to a recent suggestion, we've added in the ability to request entry deny on all map art regions! These map arts must be in the end to do this currently (as we don't want people hitting constantly blocks in the air while flying in the over world) - However, you may be able to request the movement of your map art under special conditions if you submit your request to the staff. We are also looking at adding further support for map arts to make them un-copy-able. This is currently in discussion.

Trade Signs
Ever wanted to accept different forms of payment? Perhaps with other materials. Wanted to exchange and trade materials automatically without being online or having to physically be present for the trade? Now you can. Trade signs have been added to the game to expand upon the functionality of chest shops. The full topic explaining EVERYTHING about them can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=29055&p=297023

Difficulty Increase - /suicide removed
After multiple public polls with the players. The difficulty of the server has been increased to hard mode. This means death by starvation is now possible, and your heart bar wont stop at half a heart anymore. You may die from other causes which would normally leave you at half a heart. The /suicide command was also removed and now instead just teleports you to your bedspawn. This was done to increase the reliance on food products on the server and is currently being trialed for 1 month, after that we will decide whether to keep the change or revert it back. Let us know what you think by replying below!

New Mob Rotations - New Mob Area in CB
The mob rotation is a special event to spice up the random mobs that spawn. The first mob rotation removed Arctic's mobs and replaced them with the current ones, the fire demon, ent, forgotten knight, forgotten samurai, and the ink golem. This time the only mob that will be staying is the ink golem. The others will be replaced by the dirt golem, blood demon, and the ninja. Legend has it there is another secret mob to look out for too.
The mob rotations occur every three months, old mobs may be included in future rotations.
To add to that, Crystal Bay has added a new mob event area - much is planned for this and we're really excited to be working on it, so we'll save the rest of the details for later.

Build Server Plots Increased - Server is Back Up!
As many of you have been aware, the build server was down recently due to a glitch. This glitch made it so that it would overwrite certain claimed areas of the world. Luckily due to being contained quite quickly, the affect it had has been limited to a few plots. You can read about this in more detail here: viewtopic.php?f=168&t=29499
This has now been solved and you should be able to access the build server as normal :D .To add to that, we've also increased the amount of plots you can claim on the build server :o .

Calendar Bot Added
We've added a Calendar bot to our Government Discord server in order to keep everyone up to date with the events that are happening in the server and the important dates! Players will be allowed to add their own dates to the calendar for things like events, auctions etc to keep the community connected. To do this, contact any government official (both staff and non staff alike). To check up on the upcoming events, do the command !events. If you haven't already, please join the government discord channel below. The government discord is one of the many ways we use to communicate with our player base, ask questions, run polls, provide support and run our day-day department tasks. Join it here!:

Click the image to join

Staff Discussions
This is the section where we'll keep players updated on what the staff are currently discussing (within reason to keep things confidential of course). We'd like to be as transparent as we can with the public without risking the security of the server or its management. Of course we don't want to spoil any surprises either. Some of the recent staff discussions include:

The Discussion of some major economy changes, trade center changes
Recently we have been engaging in discussions with both non-staff and staff alike to come up with some changes we can implement into the server to help the economy grow and prosper on HelloMiners. This is an ongoing process and we're continuing to grow this. However, recently there have been discussions regarding changes to the way the government trade center works. The trade center may be changed in order to allow for more business growth and to make collecting materials still profitable - but without the mindless grinding. More information will be released on this in the weeks to come. However, the public will play a major role in helping us make decisions in this area and as you saw last time with, we will make a topic specifically for this asking for player's opinions.

Adding in group chat capabilities
Recently in discussions has been the ability to create group chats. We've been wanting to add this in for a while, and the recent suggestion topic only fueled our interest further. We've been searching for plugins and I believe to have found one that may suit our needs. Currently testing out adding group chat capabilities to the server. A feature which should make chatting in large groups in private more common. Imagine a group chat for a certain event (e.g a party), a group chat for a certain topic of debate, a group chat for a city council meeting.... there are lots of possibilities that we can't wait to utilize!

Selecting Players to Help run government cities.
As you may have recently heard, the government is looking to involve players in government run cities! Some player's will be hired to take part in the management of government run cities. This will involve helping with evictions, generating ideas, completing projects and the general up-keep of the city. We are currently selecting those that applied here: viewtopic.php?f=199&t=29328 for the positions and will announce our results shortly after we have finalized them.

Topics Worth Discussing
This is a new section of the update topics that I felt the need to add to address some of the concerns or topics of interest of the community as of late. Today, I will be discussing "A Different Perspective". Recently,I have seen some pretty harsh and hateful messages directed towards certain members of staff. A concern among the players is that they think changes may take a little long within staff, and they wouldn't be completely wrong either.

However, I feel like this needs investigating into a little further. Many of us have been very quick to judge the situation completely, without trying to understand the full circumstances or the other persons condition. Hence, it becomes very easy to judge something as imperfect looking at it from the outside. What needs to be remembered here are two things. The first, that staff are all but volunteers giving their all to try to manage a minecraft server for their community.

Staff are dedicating their own time out of their lives to this. You need to remember that there are many things which may come before the server for someone on a personal level, such as work, studies, family matters or IRL problems and troubles. In some areas IRL, staff are falling behind as they are dedicating so much of their own time into the server. Hence it's not unreasonable to think that sometimes, they may need to put some focus onto their IRL lives.

The second thing that I feel needs to be understood is that there are many many things that we are trying to keep up with. The staff chat is filled with them. From multiple log requests, to making constant changes to the server in different areas (such as fixing up the build, adding to the economy, solving player problems, going through reports and sorting out investigations, to this very topic, etc.. the list goes on). Some things do get pushed behind because of this. Now, put these two together and consider the position of someone with all of these things happening at once. These people are already overworked. I don't believe the best option we have to bring about change is to talk against them. Instead, why don't we try to encourage them to optimize certain areas with our own ideas and solutions to problems. Why not try to take initiative and at least try to control and change the things that are within our grasp. I believe if we have this, we'd have reached an ideal community and the server's true success can be properly realized.

Final Words
Well that brings to end another update topic! I Hope you were able to get something out of it. We aim to keep the updates coming and the changes happening. Since the last update, player-staff communications have increased greatly through the use of our discord server and many government departments are well underway with the inclusion of support from the player base! I'd like to take this opportunity to also thank every single person who made a suggestion topic (regardless of if it was implemented or not). These suggestions help us improve the server and many of the changes we are making were due to the overwhelmingly good player suggestions. If you have a good idea for the server, be sure to submit it here!: viewforum.php?f=299

If you have anything you feel needs adding or any other comments regarding the update topic please feel free to send me a message. I also encourage everyone to take part in discussions regarding the recent changes and topics presented in this update topic by replying below.

Thank you for reading!
Kind regards,
MissileGamer.
24 people like this post.

Work for a cause, not for applause.

Live life to express, not to impress.

Don’t strive to make your presence noticed,
just your absence felt.

Re: [HelloMiner's Updates #002] - A Different Perspective

Postby MyNameIsSakura » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Hey Missile thanks for the great post. Its nice to have more updates and cant wait to see some more changes done to the server and thanks for being such a great staff member who is up late making posts :P
5 people like this post.
Sakura the pink nose reindeer
City Department Staff

Postby MrSuperRed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Beta
2 people like this post.
Hey!

GNR Co. (50% equity owner)
SuperRed Inc. (100% equity owner)

"No one has changed the world by following what the world has told them to do" - some guy on tedx forget his name

Net Worth: 5m

Postby MrSuperRed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Great post Missile!

Love the recent changes coming from staff but a few things.

Cheers.
MissileGamer likes this post.
Hey!

GNR Co. (50% equity owner)
SuperRed Inc. (100% equity owner)

"No one has changed the world by following what the world has told them to do" - some guy on tedx forget his name

Net Worth: 5m

Postby stuffjunk » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 pm

hi
clexar likes this post.

Postby Jaspacce » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Very nice. 10/10. Good job Missile.
Jaspacce

Registered player since July 2015
Trial-Moderator since March 2018

sorry for inactivity in the past kinda busy and broken laptop FeelsBadMan
but im active now :)

Postby Luke (LukeTheTree) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm

This is like a second issue of a staff Newspaper :D I'll be reading through this every day a new one comes out!
Inactive Since Oct. 2018 - Discord: LukeTheHat#5318

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” -Rob Siltanen (Credited as Steve Jobs)

Postby ArcticCoder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Keep /suicide out of HM :D
clexar likes this post.
ArcticCoder

Postby _DJDoodle_ » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 am

/warp c lag?
I went to /warp c and I crashed once per block I moved. Sometimes I don't and I can run to the BP tp sign just in time but others I don't.
Please fix this problem!
The reason you don't lag is that it's been loaded before you were there! Generally when people spawn nobody's been there for a while so that's why we are all crashing! Discuss and fix!

~Doodle
"When ever i find the Key to success, someone always changes the lock." - Doodle2k17

"I would be enjoying my holiday right now, but I'm to lazy to sleep" - Doodle2k18

https://imgur.com/EHjyQ8T

Founder of Cape Coral!

Battle Palace Manager/Developer

#BringBackFunboi28

Member since somewhere in the early months of 2015!

Postby Stlrsfan4 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:54 am

MrSuperRed wrote:Beta

Beta
Stlrsfan4
CEO and Co-Founder of Citadel Infrastructure Co.
"The sky's not the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

Next