Forum

HelloMiners Forum Announcements Status of the server.

Status of the server.

Announcements concerning HelloMiners.

Re: Status of the server.

Postby Arakorni89 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 am

SucceededKiller wrote:Server is back up. :)

Can't promise stability, only just finished making it etc. Let me/staff know if you run into bugs.

Buildserver will return tomorrow hopefully.

(Will answer any questions etc you raised after my initial message tomorrow, sorry.)

Thanks!

WOW I heard what you did, magic is real and you have that in your hands!
Tough but fair
Networth: Who cares

Postby ~Manosxatz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

SucceededKiller wrote:Hey,

So you all know how the server currently is. For the past weeks we've had numerous crashes and now the server is down entirely.

I also realise there's been a lack of communication, which I can only apologise for. When things are broken, for me, it's more important to try figure them out and fix them than write up long posts explaining everything. And I don't have the time I once had. I also know the lack of communication is a big problem, I get told the same at work, but it's just how things work best for me.

I get emails every time something happens with the server. If it goes down, within 5 minutes I get an email; the same with the websites. For the past week or so I've even been restarting the server from work, with SSH on my phone, when needed. You can imagine how much fun that is.

What started as a memory leak that would, at times, use 20GB in less than a minute suddenly became, on Saturday, a missing boot drive that means the server only boots in rescue mode.

The server being remote, I only have so many options available to me.

I've been speaking with Tedde since it started to see if we can figure out what's going on but now there's little investigation we can do as the server doesn't want to start.

Before you all panic, all backups are kept entirely separate from the server and I've already made additional ones so no data is gone.

The hope is to get everything back to normal before Wednesday. I can't promise that, but that's the goal. I terms of compensation we can work something out, especially for those of you that pay for your premium subscription each month to help fund the server.

Off the topic of the current server status, you've no doubt noticed my inactivity. Since I've started working as a SOC Analyst my time has just disappeared.

I have, however, been trying to work with the rest of the staff to set up a role system where people are responsible for certain tasks so nothing is dependent on one person and people have specific duties. You've no doubt started to notice this with the reporting team who deal with reports and bans.

I also have time off in December where I can hopefully finalise everything.

There are a load of things I also want to finish adding that I haven't had the time to, things I think will add a lot more value to exploring the world before we move onto trying to enrich the economy.

As a side note, when things like this happen, please don't jump to conclusions or come up and spread crazy theories.

Canadian blackouts? DDOS attacks? Hackers?

Sometimes I wish it was that simple though...

The staff are not to blame either, they've been as kept in the dark as you all have. I realise it's not the right way to do things but it was the easiest at the time.

Regarding Tedde, a lot of the comments you made are somewhat right. He doesn't have the time for this, he is working on his new startup and as you can imagine that takes priority. Like everyone's actual job does, which you'll all understand one day.

To say he doesn't care though isn't fair. If he didn't he wouldn't be footing the bill for everything each month, as I can tell you that the current premium income doesn't cover it all. He wouldn't be listening to me when I tell him we need to spend more on X or Y and he wouldn't be trying to find people who can help us figure out what happened here.

When I'm home tomorrow I'll answer any questions you have in the replies here if I have time. If you just want to vent some rage then you can do that, I don't blame you.

Regards,
SucceededKiller

What about the build server?!
IGN: manosxatz
Networth: 150K
Owner of Puerto Cancun
Owner of Hottleys inc.
Merry Christmas!! :)
Player of HM SINCE 25th june 2016
~A goodbye is never painful unless you're never going to say hello again
100% Greek :)

Postby ~Manosxatz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:38 pm

SucceededKiller wrote:Server is back up. :)

Buildserver will return tomorrow hopefully.

(Will answer any questions etc you raised after my initial message tomorrow, sorry.)

This was written in 6 December and now its 12 December. Aweek has passed and nothing yet. I know and respect the fact that you admins work on it but its been soo long since ive login to build server. When will it open again? D:
IGN: manosxatz
Networth: 150K
Owner of Puerto Cancun
Owner of Hottleys inc.
Merry Christmas!! :)
Player of HM SINCE 25th june 2016
~A goodbye is never painful unless you're never going to say hello again
100% Greek :)

Previous